3.1.1 not loading db correctly

Hi.

Got this weird issue. So far its happened twice this last week while I'm reviewing WHMCS for deployment.

So far I've setup everything like I want it and it is all working fine but after a day or so and after a few times of logging into the admin section then I don't have any information displayed other then it found X amount of records and then doesn't display them. Not to mention all the configuration settings are gone from out the mySQL DB. All the other info like clients, domains etc are still in the DB. Just the configuration data that has disapeared.

The last time it happened I reinstalled whmcs and it was working fine again for 5 or 6 days until this morning. I've taken some screen shots:

links won't be working since the links isn't allowed which is kinda anoying but i'm sure you'll figure them out.

http://electro.za.net/1.JPG

http://electro.za.net/2.JPG

http://electro.za.net/3.JPG

I hope this can be sorted as I'm really growing fond of WHMCS and will certainly be taking it once the trial expires.

Thanks,

Richard.

Hey,

Well this is defiantly not a WHMCS bug, as you wouldn't of been the only person experiencing this problem and I haven't either.

You may want to run some MySQL queries like optimize and repair. Other then that, can't think of anything at the moment that will cause this.

From,

Adam

Wow quick response I'm impressed :D

Ok update:

Once I re-enter all the general configuration settings then everything starts working as per normal again.

Weird I know. Could maybe be to do with the mysql or php versions?

Apache version 1.3.37 (Unix)

MySQL version 4.1.21-standard

PHP version 4.4.4

PERL version 5.8.7

Kernel version 2.6.17.11-grsechg

Weird I know. Could maybe be to do with the mysql or php versions?

Apache version 1.3.37 (Unix)

MySQL version 4.1.21-standard

PHP version 4.4.4

PERL version 5.8.7

Kernel version 2.6.17.11-grsechg

Hey,

Highly doubt it. This error would be more of a MySQL / coding error. However you are the only client experiencing this problem so I don't think its a coding error. It could be one of those one time bugs or if you have two admins on changing settings on the same page, etc.

If this keeps happening, you will need to open up a ticket,

http://support.whmcs.com/submitticket.php

From,

Adam

I'm wondering if it is related to reposting data by going back in a web browser window? I too have seen a similar thing happen.

I was playing around with a newly installed demo. I had the Main Config page up... all data looked fine.

Later I clicked a link in one of my emails to test another unrelated matter and it forced that same Browser window to load the other URL. Now I didnt want to lose where I was in the WHMCS admin area so I clicked the BACK button on my browser. It did NOT give me an error/warning about "reposting" data etc but rather loaded the Config page with all values empty! Ouch!

Moral of the story...never click BACK in a browser window if you accidenlty leave the admin config page and load another URL, or be prepared to enter in all main config settings again. :-D

Interesting thing is that it didnt just go back to the default values but ALL the fields were actually EMPTY, so I had to type in even the defaiult ones again.

Matt, is it likely that this could be related to the problem?

Cheers,

Paul

I'm wondering if it is related to reposting data by going back in a web browser window? I too have seen a similar thing happen.

imho there are only two ways to loose the data in the config table:

1) Empty the table with an SQL statement.

2) Re-write the config record with empty fields.

I find it hard to imagine that the browser's back function would initiate either of these. The thing is that I don't feel like testing it on my live system so I can't prove this theorem.

Having said that, wouldn't it be nice if the WHMCS license would allow to have a test system installed as well?

ozzie

Matt, this is something I think you should look into - please read below:

WHMCS apparently doesn't check for validity or existence of posted fields when told to save a form... I learned this after accidentally erasing one of my admin accounts.

For example, a URL similar to:

https://www.domain.com/whmcs/admin/configadmins.php?action=save&id=3

Will erase all data in the fields of admin user id 3 if unaccompanied by any POST data...

Adding a "check" field in the POST data should correct this (i.e. GET data of ?action=save&id=3 along with a "hidden" POST field confirming the request to save) and prevent having to add a bunch of error checking for valid POST data in each field. The form would only save the data to the DB if there was a POST field confirming the request to save.

You could still manually blank out entries if wanted, because the hidden "check" field would still be sent when submitting a form, but not when accidentally going back to a page in your history or to a favorite you saved containing such a URL - or in my case, using a Firefox extension to switch between FF and IE - which of course doesn't re-post the data when switching, but requests the save URL causing the data to be lost.

If WHMCS is setup to process the forms in this manner on the admin accounts page, I think it's possible that this could be the same on other forms in the WHMCS admin - although I haven't wanted to test it... :wink:

If I've confused you, I'm sorry - let me know and I'll try to re-explain!

imho there are only two ways to loose the data in the config table:

1) Empty the table with an SQL statement.

2) Re-write the config record with empty fields.

I find it hard to imagine that the browser's back function would initiate either of these. The thing is that I don't feel like testing it on my live system so I can't prove this theorem.

Having said that, wouldn't it be nice if the WHMCS license would allow to have a test system installed as well?

ozzie

Yes I agree with you....

but...

...when I saw all the empty fields I didnt hit Submit. Rather, I opened a new Browser session (in fact I think I even used a different browser altogether) and then went to the admin config page again in the new session to see if the values were still in the database...as I really didnt want to have to enter them all in again :shock: . It wasnt the case though and that's what made me take note of the hiccup.

So perhaps the back clicking of the browser did the following...

1. Emptied all the variables, and then

2. Submited the page.

Cheers,

Paul