Hotmail does not accept email from WHMCS... any solution?

johnh

Hi,

I have tried to send email from WHMCS (welcome email) to hotmail, and gmail.... but I did not go through on hotmail... it worked on gmail, but filtered as junk... however, I never received email on hotmail from whmcs...

right now using php mail method on whmcs...

any solution for this? does anyone have same problem?

thanks

Are you root?

1. Make sure it is not being sent as nobody

2. Make sure DNS is set up correctly

3. Make sure the account your sending from is an existing account

4. Make sure your server responds to callout verification requests

5. Make sure your host mail server has rDNS setup properly

6. Make sure your HELO is not conflicting with the rDNS host

7. Implement SPF if you haven't done so, and if so, make sure it's correct.

It is most likely one of these.

Also, try using SMTP instead of phpmail in the admin area of WHMCS. If you can disable user from sending as "nobody" in your WHM tweak settings, if using Cpanel.

yes, root

1. I am not sure.. if it is sending from nobody, how can I fix it or change it?

2 - 3. They are fine...

4. What do you mean by this?

5. I did not rDNS, but I can do it... so I need to do rDNS for main server IP? because I install WHMCS on subdomain of main domain with dedicated IP... and on WHMCS I am using email address of maindomain

6. How can I check this?

7. How can I do this?

I tried to use SMTP on WHMCS, but somehow it does not work..

I input correct address and password..

do-not-reply@domain.com

password

port 25

but it does not send email.. I don't know why..

please help...

John,

do you have an existing default email from setup in your admin area?

4. callout verification is the process of verifying a sent email's FROM address, by the receiving email server making a request to the sending server that the email address actually exists on the server. You can turn off and on verification calls from and to your server. Default is on for a WHM/CP + Exim box.

5. rdns should exist for all IPs on your box. Particularly the mail IP. The main IP can be host.domain.com, but on cpanel the default mail server will also use that IP address. So, what you can do is modify your DNS for the domain you are using like so:

domain.com. IN MX 0 mail.domain.com.

mail.domain.com. IN A 1.2.3.4

Where 1.2.3.4 is your main IP. The default cpanel entry is okay, but can cause problems.

6. what I just posted as a reply for #5 should fix the issue of a mis-matched host and HELO

7. SPF is a custom TXT DNS entry.

In it's simplest of forms it is: "v=spf1 a mx ~all" so your DNS should be:

domain.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx ~all"

v=spf1 is the SPF version

a=any hostnames with A records allowed to send mail

mx=any MX domains allowed to send mail

~all= all hosts specified in the these instructions

"v=spf1 a mx ~all" will allow all hosts and mx records for the DNS FQDN pointing at it, as well as it's subdomains.

With CPanel try to check the "disable sending using nobody" in tweak settings

With your email try using a + ie, user+domain.com, make sure POP3 is running as a service, and that your password is correct. Port 25 should be ok, and is standard.

Oh I forgot ...

You should also have a named.db and httpd entry for your hostname.

your hostname DNS should have the standard auth/SOA, followed by the ns servers and then a A record for the host.

Missing this is a good way to have other servers reject your email too.

by the way, you can also go to dnsreport.com and test your domain for any usual culprits.

Trine

I have the same exact problem Checked all of the things you mentioned above

Still same thing I have verified with Matt that system is sending mail via SMTP. The only differeance here is that not only WHMCS mail is not reaching hotmail no mail from my server is reaching hotmail and the state they are not blocking my server. Having this problem just on one server. My server mail log show completed messages not bounced or rejected messages are not coming back.

Use SMTP to another server to send the email; ie use one of the working hosts as your SMTP host. That way you'll bypass the problems your current server has for now.

As far as why hotmail is blocking your server; probably someone from your current server has sent spam in the not-too-distant past. Have you checked http://www.dnsstuff.com for any spam listings against your outgoing server IP?

There is a problem with Hotmail. Not sure what it is as I could not send mail from our hosting domain to either of our hotmail addresses, even with a regular email client. They don't bounce, end up in junk email...they are blackholed.

I sent a copy of the same email address via a different domain on the server and they showed up. We were told elsewhere to do a send to an address that was not working going in to Hotmail from a hotmail account which I did.

Once an email was sent from 1 hotmail address to an address for our hosting domain, both hotmail addresses now receive emails from all addresses belonging to the domain that would not come through.

Try sending an email to the domain you want get Hotmail to accept emails from and I think you will find that suddenly Hotmail will accept emails from that domain then.... :twisted:

for dns and site probles try dnsreport.com

Other than that, if you have verified all the stuff I placed above and also used Adam's suggestion of checking if your IPs are listed in RBLs, it could be that hotmail is greylisting your IP, Host's IP blocks or domains. Greylisting may also explain why you see no bounced emails.

Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, Netscape, Webde, and Google are all known to use grelisting.

Greylisting is a spam-blocking method. There are various implementations of it too. Anyway, greylisting blocks spam at the mail server level, and is based on the behavior of the sending mail server rather than on the content of the message.... Again the reason why I instructed you to check the settings above -- first!

With Hotmail, MSN and AOL , you can actually implement something called Sender-ID or Sender Score Certified which can be a boon, but hard to implement, as these require DNS changes.

Unfortunately, greylisting and email delivery issues are well known with free email providers.

Usually greylisting will eventually allow the message through to the user, although they may end up in someone's junk mail folder. With hotmail, you their documentation actually states that users should add trusted email address to their address book... and apparently that would allow the message to get into the INBOX rather than the Spam folder. ... okay, whatever.

Well, it is actually a good idea to tell users to add you to their whitelist and address book, in the case of spam filters or free email services.

Anyway, we have had little trouble getting through to free email services. Actually the last complaint was about 1/2 year ago... a small tweak fixed that issue.

not listed on any blocklists...

just added below on dns entry

domain.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx ptr a:Mainserver IP ~all"

waiting it to be propagated...

and I wil test it again..from whmcs..

this issue is killing me.. all works expect hotmail....

Another issue is the image at the top of the emails whmcs sends out - we've seen users' spam reports which don't like it. Removing the URL in the admin panel doesn't seem to remove the image from the top of the email, it just seems to leave it there, but blank...unless I'm going mad. Another thing on my list to look into!

All my testing was done with a plain text email sent from outlook. All is good on dnsreports and I have an spf record. Also not listed in any blacklists. domains using the same ip would not go through while others would which had emails received from hotmail before.

Once an email was sent to an email address within a domain name from hotmail....all the email addresses from that domain get through! I have heard this issue with other servers at "ThePlanet"

trine

mail.domain.com. IN A 1.2.3.4 Should this be the mail server ip? or the dedicated ip for the domain name. tryed mail server ip got through one time then not again.

Must have missed this before.

Yes, this needs to be the mail server IP... on a cpanel box, usually the host IP.

• 3 months later...

I have just experienced this (first time) with a hotmail account. I didn't think I suffred from this issue as I thought that I had tested with my hotmail account.

My problem is that the pipe are set up at root level so there is no actual user in my cp (ensim btw). How can I get around this?

Cheers,

Ad