Implementing login form

Hey guys, I have started a new website written in html and a little bit of PHP and I have decided that I'll go for WHMCS as billing system. I have almost completed the integration with the the WHMCS and my main website, however there is one little thing that bugs me quite a bit. I have a login form on the main website index.php(not the WHMCS) that looks like this:

<div align="left"><form method="post" action="http:/mysite.com/accounts/dologin.php?goto=clientarea">
<input type="hidden" name="token" value="ee3109870cd9a8da0813754ad123397552561563" />
Client login: <br /><input type="text" name="username" size="10" value="Username">
<input type="password" name="password" size="10" value="******">
<input type="submit" value="Login">
</form></div>

e.g. the usual HTML login form which works perfectly with the WHMCS and correctly logs me to the client account. I have then implemented a IF statement im my header.tpl file of the template that looks like this:

{if $loggedin}
Welcome, {$clientsdetails.firstname} <td><a href="logout.php">{$LANG.logouttitle}</a></td>
{else}

which also works perfectly and shows in WHMCS the first name of the client that has logged in. However, here my problem: When i go back to my main website page(not whmcs) it doesn't show that this client has logged in. My question is how should I go for implementing something like the above IF statement in the header.tpl on my main index.php file. I'll really appreciate if someone has already solved that problem and shares that information :)

You have no idea how much that hint helped me Rob ! Thank you ! After hours of banging my head on how to implement the login feature and show that a user is logged in no matter where on the website he is, I finally solved that problem. Placing your WHMCS in the root folder and building your website around it is the solution. Creating a custom page for the main index did the trick for me.

P.S. Don't forget placing the {literate}{/literate} tags around every <script></script> and <style></style> tags that you place in your custom .tpl file !

You have no idea how much that helped me Rob ! Thank you ! Placing the WHMCS in the root folder and building your website around it solved my problem. You will need to create a custom index and corresponding .tpl for that file as the tutorial suggest.