How do I show the active page in my navigation?

expandmind

Hello,

header.tpl >> In my navigation I have a list of pages:

<ul id="mainmenu">

<li class="active"><a href="/home">Home</a></li>

<li><a href="/page1">/Page2</a></li>

<li><a href="/page/page2">Page2</a></li>

</ul>

How do I go about creating something that automatically changes the active page to have the class 'active' assigned to it? - Active links on my main menu.

Thank you in advance.

We did this on our whmcs based site (http://www.simplexwebs.com) using smarty {if} statements and a bit of php.

In each of the pages, we created a smarty variable called 'category' and assigned it the page name eg.

$category = "hosting";
initialiseClientArea($pagetitle,$pageicon,$breadcrumbnav);
$smartyvalues["category"] = $category; 

or

$category = "aboutus";
initialiseClientArea($pagetitle,$pageicon,$breadcrumbnav);
$smartyvalues["category"] = $category; 

then in the header.tpl we used:

{if $category eq NULL}
	{php}
		$basename=pathinfo($_SERVER["PHP_SELF"]);
		$basename=$basename["basename"];
		if ($basename=="index.php")
		{
		echo(' SHOW HOMEPAGE ACTIVE ');
                       }
		else
		{
                         echo(' SHOW ACTIVE WHMCS PAGES E.G SUPPORT, KNOWLEDGEBASE ETC. ');
{/php}
{elseif  $category eq sharedhosting}
CODE FOR NAV WITH SHARED HOSTING ACTIVE
{/if}

Just repeating the elseif for however many categories you have. This might seem a little long winded, but its the only decent option I found that works.

Hello,

I think there is a much easier way to this, with help from Mat WHMCS Support - Thank you,

" The variable $filename contains the current page the user is on so in the template files, you could for example do something like this:

<li{if $filename eq "announcements"} class="active"{/if}><a href="announcements.php">Announcements</a></li>

And with that, if the page was announcements, that menu option would be active. You can do the same for other page names aswell."

regards,

Alex

Hello,

I think there is a much easier way to this, with help from Mat WHMCS Support - Thank you,

" The variable $filename contains the current page the user is on so in the template files, you could for example do something like this:

<li{if $filename eq "announcements"} class="active"{/if}><a href="announcements.php">Announcements</a></li>

And with that, if the page was announcements, that menu option would be active. You can do the same for other page names aswell."

regards,

Alex

I see a issue with this however, some pages have the same filename, but different actions. So while this is easier... its also useless.

Edited by EricHamby

I see a issue with this however, some pages have the same filename, but different actions. So while this is easier... its also useless.

using {if $filename eq "clientarea" and $smarty.get.action eq "details"} you can show as active the pages with same filename, but different actions..

Thank you,

Alex