Server Status URL

Rae

Hi guys,

As a previous customer of various hosting companies before becoming a web host myself, I only used to pay the ones who show how good they are. I agree with not showing your full server list to a degree but in experience I have found that all poor quality web hosts hide their server stats so as not to lose new business.

I have also used a company who block ping requests to their servers. I new they were slow without the need to ping!

I don't think that this feature will prove how good you are as a webhost. It takes more than a display of your servers 'up' status to do that. A good webhost is more about Service. You can prove your good service with testimonials, word-of-mouth recommendations, awards if you have them, availability, and responsiveness. Even offering a guarantee would be beneficial. Other than that, a customer is looking for features of equipment and software that your business provides that can improve their business if they host with you.

As a service feature, the Server Status URL is only good if it is directly related to the customer who needs it -- that is, available to them in their client area and pretaining to their own server. If a customer is having difficulty with their server and questions its status, then this is a nice thing to display to them to provide that information.

As a feature to just put on your site, more often than not, it will work against you. If you have only a few servers, it will translate that you are a small company. If it shows that a server is down, it will translate that your servers are problematic. Any of which will not translate into a sale.

I believe in honesty. I expect it from my customers and I want them to expect it from everyone in my company. This has always worked in our favor. We are now in our 14th year in webhosting with a 96% retention of original customers.

So all I am saying is that this feature will not prove that you are a good webhost just because you display this information. This feature should be useful -- and it is only useful to the customer who needs that information. By logging into their client area to get it also shows an individualistic aspect to this that is important.

--Rae

Hi Rae,

Very fair comments, I totally agree with what you are saying there. I only have about 4 years to your 14 so obviously my experience is far less.

I have however resorted to using dedicated servers and VPS now as the hosting companies I have used have not all been good.

I know what you mean about the amount of servers although I don't advertise myself to be something I'm not. I work full time elsewhere and I aim my services more at home users and amateur web developers so I'm not in a huge business.

Anyway, each to their own. People can now take on board all of the comments given and make their own decisions.

Cheers!

• 5 months later...