Licensing Addon Questions

visualtron

Question

I'm using an external licensing software, ASProtect for my software licensing (windows). License key is tied to hardware id - not ip address or domain name.

Can the licensing addon meet my need? After reading through the wiki, I have the impression that the addon is only for web scripts.

6 answers to this question

The licensing addon is developed to work with an online connection. The idea is fairly simple "call-home" every few days to determine if the license is valid. If not then disable the application.

You will find just like WHMCS the licensing addon is very versatile and can be customize to your needs.

This is just one example of how you can use the licensing addon offline with additional coding:

Use the licensing addon to generate your license key. You can setup the specific format on how the license works.

For the sake of simplicity we will use a rather simple formula x-x(2)-x(3)-x(4). If each of your serials follows this formula then you can plugin a different value for each license.

When you plugin x = 2 you get a serial of 2-4-6-8.

Now your program will need to see if this serial follows the above formula, in the case of 2-4-6-8 the license is valid, if it is something like 2-2-6-2 the license is false.

The use of the licensing addon in this case is simply to generate the license key online. The more sophisticated your license formula the less likely it is to be pirated.

Your software from this point will have basic protection. The only way to truly secure your software is with a "call-home" which will check if the license is valid, check if it has been installed somewhere else, and check if the license has been activated in your database.

Look at other software such as Adobe, they have done their licensing the best way possible. If the user is offline they have a phone activation code as well that they can and active by phone. I suggest you offer both phone activation and internet activation.

You mentioned that your users may not have internet, will they ever? If the internet is detected try and make a connection. I dont have actual figures but I think if they dont have internet by this day and age that they will know somebody with internet, maybe try email activation as well.

Hope this helps.

Hi, did you end up using the licensing module for your Windows program? I'm interested as I have the same requirement and would like to use this module if it is appropriate for such use.

Thanks!

Rick.

I'm using an external licensing software, ASProtect for my software licensing (windows). License key is tied to hardware id - not ip address or domain name.

Can the licensing addon meet my need? After reading through the wiki, I have the impression that the addon is only for web scripts.

We've used the licensing module in our .NET/C# apps before and it's worked fine.

Would you mind sharing on the internal logic you used? I am very interested in using Licensing Addon to protect our .NET 4/C# desktop gallery generator. How do you prevent a valid license from being given to others? Do you use a hardware number or some other number generated upon installation?

I just posted a new thread with a lot of details on the internal logic I think we'll need.

To not duplicate, please see:

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?t=30939