Invoice and new order emails generated too early?

rbro

Question

I just placed a test order for an existing test client and noticed that before I confirmed the order and clicked on the "click to continue" button on the checkout page, the customer invoice and new order notifications are sent. Is that supposed to happen , or wait until the order is confirmed?

10 answers to this question

if you are using paypal or other payment processor then accounts created as soon as the client is redirected to paypal payment page.

or to be more correct as soon as the client is redirected to the invoice page.

The client was set to pay by credit card. When I got to what appears to be the last step of the order form, where all the info is confirmed, I noticed the emails were already coming in. The customer invoice and new order confirmation were sent before the client confirms the order. That doesn't seem right to me. What if he changes his mind or wants to go back and make a change?

• WHMCS CEO

No, this is correct. At the point the user either logs in or enters their details as a new client and clicks submit the order has been confirmed and submitted - at that stage the user cannot go back and make any changes. The order is placed at this time and relevant emails sent. The user then proceeds to payment.

Matt

No, this is correct. At the point the user either logs in or enters their details as a new client and clicks submit the order has been confirmed and submitted - at that stage the user cannot go back and make any changes. The order is placed at this time and relevant emails sent. The user then proceeds to payment.

Matt

That kind of caught me by surprise. From a new user perspective, shouldn't there be a clear cut page to review the order and correct any mistakes and then a definitive statement along the lines of "If everything looks correct, click here to submit your order for processing, otherwise click here to edit your order" or something along those lines?

• WHMCS CEO
That kind of caught me by surprise. From a new user perspective, shouldn't there be a clear cut page to review the order and correct any mistakes and then a definitive statement along the lines of "If everything looks correct, click here to submit your order for processing, otherwise click here to edit your order" or something along those lines?

There is! It's called the "Confirm Order" step suprisingly enough (step 4). It's at this point the user sees everything in there order, can change everything in their order, and decides if they want to go ahead with their order. If they aren't happy, they don't login or signup as a new user. If you feel you need an additional message there to make this clearer then the template file is "order-stepfour.tpl"

There is! It's called the "Confirm Order" step suprisingly enough (step 4). It's at this point the user sees everything in there order, can change everything in their order, and decides if they want to go ahead with their order. If they aren't happy, they don't login or signup as a new user. If you feel you need an additional message there to make this clearer then the template file is "order-stepfour.tpl"

I guess that's what surprised me was the emails being sent upon customer identification. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem right having the existing customer identifying himself as the trigger for the order completion. It would be "cleaner" to have the customer identify himself at an earlier stage and have that last confirmation page reserved for reviewing the order and clicking submit. Again, maybe it's just me but I'm looking at the "new/existing customer" radio buttons and not realizing that making that selection and clicking continue is triggering the final order. Ideally I'd like the existing customer identification to happen in an earlier step and have that final "click to confirm order" button as the final step for either existing or new customer.