How to check domains and subdomains in a custom order form?

braksator

I'm creating my own custom order form (outside of the whmcs directory), and I've configured subdomain options in whmcs. How can I get a list of these (right now I'm hardcoding them) and then how can I do a lookup of [user's choice].example.com to see if it's available. I'm happy to create my own Feeds file or something like that, just wanting to be pointed towards some functions I could use

Also looking up whether domains are available / transferable, and how to give similar domain suggestions. Any advice appreciated on that.

Basically I want to recreate the "check" functionality of the domain page in the standard order form. I'm already using a customised version of the Feeds file to pull up a list of TLDs with prices, but I'm stumped about how to do the validation, etc...

I figure since there's an API method to "Create Order" where you supply the domain and such, there must be a way to check it right?