Using _link function and _capture function in custom payment gateway

Hi,

We have setup a _link function to Forte (formerly paymentsgateway.com), using their "Redirect" method so that no CC info stored locally. This is working well.

We would like to also have a function to use to capture payments on recurring basis for recurring payment products. We'll do the scheduling locally, and have WHMCS then attempt the payment capture once per month (or whatever the interval is.)

I'm trying to do this using the _capture function in our custom forte gateway, but it is not being executed (the _capture function) when I try to test it with an "Attempt Capture" for example, from the Invoice detail page.

I notice in the WHMCS Gateway Module Docs, that it implies that only one of the functions (_link , _capture) can be used with a given custom gateway module. Is this correct, or is there another way I should test it? Is there another way I can implement the _capture so we can use it for recurring payments?

Thanks!