Full WordPress Integration

So this is yet another question about integration with WordPress. I have searched the forum for WordPress and read every post but have not found anything close to what I'm trying to achieve.

I am attempting to integrate WordPress with the classic WHMCS theme using the following code in the header.tpl file:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Integrating_WordPress_with_Your_Website

I can confirm this works in a plain PHP file, but not within the tpl files of a WHMCS theme. From what I can see the problem is very similar to the post below.

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/integrating-wordpress-into-my-site-global-blues-and-many-non-objects

When WordPress runs through WHMCS it appears none of the global variables are being initialised within functions which is throwing errors all over the place. I have successfully integrated WP with other third party software before so it seems to be something specific to WHMCS.

I am aware of other posts which suggest using template sync or including a separate PHP file with the header and footer in. In this case it isn't the solution I'm looking for as I would like to utilise the features of WordPress within the WHMCS theme. Are there any coders here who have been able to achieve this? Please help me tackle this problem once and for all!