Product Suggestions for products

Dev@SH

10,000 foot view: I'd like to offer product suggestions ( not addons / bundles / configuration options ) after a client picks another product ( eg a Linux hosting package ).

Problem: Now, I can use jQuery to load the product in to the cart if there is no required fields or configuration options with just the direct product link .

$.ajax("www.example.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=5") 

This is fine an all but the product has a required field ( a domain ). I can use the same ajax call to pre-populate that required field this way.

$.ajax("cart.php?a=add&pid=5&customfield[4]={$domain}") 

However, how would I then send that configuration to cart?

Ideally:

I would like to give the option for the client to click a checkbox, fill in a form and then when they click add to cart the required field of the second product populated and added to the cart.... somehow.

/http://i.imgur.com/25qWC.jpg

$.ajax("cart.php?a=add&pid=5&customfield[4]={$domain}&addtocart=true")

Something like that.

Reasoning: We recently changed the way that we offered our SSLs. They used to be an addons but now they are products to so that we can take advantage of the GlobalSignvoucher module. The customers that are used to having the SSL as an addon are not being giving the option now and they are not ordering it at the same time. If there is another way to accomplish this, I'd be more than welcome to field these ideas.

Thank you,

Steven