Making the Zip Code NOT required

Hi all, hopefully someone can give me some help on the following as I was hoping this was a straight forward request but its turning out to be more difficult. Basically on registration I want to make the ZIP code field NOT required just like say the company field. The reason you might ask, well in Ireland and a few other smaller countries out there zip codes do not exist, therefore on some user testing users simply leave this field blank, then of course they get prompted to fill it out, on our testing half of the people but in something like their city again, or just 0000, or some put in not applicable, however over half of them rang us to say the registration is not working!! yes i do wish people would just fill something in there but the reality is it should be simply not required.

I contacted support directly and I only got a one line reply as follows which to be honest is not really a solution for me. "It is not possible to change the requirement of the field, it will always be required so some entry would be needed by the client, even if they only enter Ireland or Eire in the box." Obviously I am only interested in solutions here and this certainly is not going to help. Infact my test user pool is only 10 large and not one of them filled in "Ireland" or Eire - so I literally have to manually register all users to the system now!

I have seen another post about hiding the field. I could do this and its looking I have to do this but I suppose to compound the issue I do have about 3% of clients in the UK which do have zips. So I do not want to force this field and remove it completely.

Again all I want is to simply make it not required. I have read about the arguments about fraud checks and so on and zips are completely required but I must say ecommerce in ireland has been growing strongly in Ireland for the past 10 years like everywhere else and we do not have zips as mentioned earlier so we simply must make this field NOT required.

By the way - I wish we did have zips ;)

So anyone have any tips on making this NOT required - the entire rest of the system seems great and I cannot wait to get the full use from it but it seems this really tiny issue is a real killer here. So any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time on this.

Thanks strother for the update. I think its the manual process of getting them to enter a certain format is what I am trying to avoid. I have been updated that in WHMCS 5.1 the registration process will be controllable and therefore certain fields can be set to be NOT required which will be welcomed. For now il try and have people enter the format suggested by your goodself thanks.