Please help with affiliate creations!

So..I can not wrap my mind around how to setup an affiliate program. The documentation is a bit non informative for the layman. I have successfully labeled one of my clients as an affiliate but how do i go about actually setting up affiliate links?

Documention makes it clear that it has to do with html and links - but how exactly? Are there any step by step tutorials available on how to do this? What i want is to have a special link a client can give to other people...and when they order through that link the affiliate will get a percentage of the order.

Any help would be much appreciated!

You need to set up the affiliates system in the settings. Setup->General Settings->Affiliates

Here you set how much you will pay an affiliate and what the link or banner code would be.

A link would simply be set as <(a href="[AffiliateLinkCode]")>Link to my site<(/a)> for the whole site or <(a href="[AffiliateLinkCode]&pid=2")>Link to product 2<(/a)> for a specific product (product id number 2 to be exact). If you have multiple links or banners then you can list them one after the other on the setup or code them into your template (more advanced).

After you have set this up in the admin, log in as client and go to the affiliates section. If you can't find it or have removed the links from the template just go to http://yoursite.com/affiliates.php. You should see the links or banners at the bottom of the page. This is where your customer would choose the link they want to use on thier site. They would then copy the code and paste it into their site.

• 3 weeks later...

A link would simply be set as <(a href="[AffiliateLinkCode]")>Link to my site<(/a)> for the whole site or <(a href="[AffiliateLinkCode]&pid=2")>Link to product 2<(/a)> for a specific product (product id number 2 to be exact). If you have multiple links or banners then you can list them one after the other on the setup or code them into your template (more advanced).

could someone break this down with a more realistic example of a affiliate link ?

Not sure i understand what the link code is exactly? is it just a number i invent ? And what is the link to my site? has to be a link in whmcs ?

thanks for any help

No, the number is the product id e.g. pid=2. The codes are set in the admin under General Settings->Affiliates. They then can be viewed by Affiliates themselves in the client area. The affiliate chooses the link they want to use.

You can do two things

1. let affiliates use the unique referal link (look in client area under affiliates at the top).

2. set up links to specific products. Each product can be set up with different payouts (set in product setup).

The best way to understand is to set it up then create an affiliate to see what they would see.

Go to the admin and enter

<(a href="[AffiliateLinkCode]&pid=2")>Link to product 2<(/a)> 

in the affiliate links box. Use whatever product id you want for a specific product you have already set up. Then log in as a client that is set as a affiliate and go to the affiliates section (in the client area). You will see the link above formated with the url of your site. The affiliate would copy and paste this into their site. It will look like

<a href="http://yourdomain.com/*?aff=004&pid=2">Link to product 2</a>

Make a html file and paste the link into it and save. Log out of everything on WHMCS and then point your browser to the file and then click the link.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for the explanation!

So in the clients affiliates section of whmcs there is a unique link http://portal.somewebhost.com/*?aff=001

is that the general link he can use on his site or give to his friends to paste in there browser ?

And then i understand i can setup individual product links.

thanks.

Its both. All the link does is identify who the affiliate is when someone uses it. The same applies to products. A link with a product will have additional info in the link that identifies the products as well as the affiliate.

• 3 years later...