Custom Free Trials Addon

can you explain exactly what the mod does after the trial is up?

I figured that was obvious, but here it goes: You configure it from the admin area of WHMCS. You select which packages to apply the functionality to, and the number of days after which to send a reminder of the end of the trial, and the number of days to end the trial (terminate the account if not already upgraded to another package/service level).

The rest is explained in the readme.txt

Actually I just found out my trial accounts get ended all right, but not deleted from the server (thus taking space I sorely need). Any ideas what I did wrong? It does say "terminated" in the trial account.......

thanks for the mod and the help, both are greatly appreciated :) I find a free trial is often the little thing that gets people over their reluctance to sign up with a "frightening" new thing: web service :D

Actually I just found out my trial accounts get ended all right, but not deleted from the server (thus taking space I sorely need). Any ideas what I did wrong? It does say "terminated" in the trial account.......

thanks for the mod and the help, both are greatly appreciated :) I find a free trial is often the little thing that gets people over their reluctance to sign up with a "frightening" new thing: web service :D

That would be something to look at your daily cron job e-mail and see if there was an error with WHMCS terminating the account. All my addon does is add the account to the Cancellation Requests queue, and WHMCS handles everything from there.

Also, wondering if you could add a second email to be sent out when the account is canceled or an email to be sent out at another specific date during the free trial?

Really I think you should have the emails to be sent out in a table cell and add a little plus icon next to them and allow everybody here to be able to customize when/what emails get sent out during the free trial.

I think it would be nice to maybe send out a "How are things going" email during the 2nd day, "upgrade notice" the 4th day, a "account expiring soon!" the 5th day and a "24 hour notice account termination imiment" notice on the 6th day. This is of course based on a 7 day trial. By adding the ability to let users determine when and how many emails go out during the trial would make this the ultimate free trial addon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm not a code guy but I find that if I mess with it long enough not only do I get a headache but I find out how it works and how to make it work for me. That being said, I already have a modules folder in my whmcs folder and in that folder I have an admin folder. So, do I need to put the contents of the module folder in the current module folder (on my server) then rename the admin folder? If I rename the admin folder do I have to make a change to any php (is there anything that references that folder?).

Thanks,

Will

I'm not a code guy but I find that if I mess with it long enough not only do I get a headache but I find out how it works and how to make it work for me. That being said, I already have a modules folder in my whmcs folder and in that folder I have an admin folder. So, do I need to put the contents of the module folder in the current module folder (on my server) then rename the admin folder? If I rename the admin folder do I have to make a change to any php (is there anything that references that folder?).

Thanks,

Will

Nevermind, I got it. I just put the contents of the module and admin folders in my respective folders on the server.

• 3 weeks later...
There are a few free trials addons in this forum. Could you guys give your opinions as to which is the best?

Also, how exactly does a user pay for an upgraded accounts after using a trial account? Upgrade to a different plan?

You specify which products the account can be upgraded to under "Products / Services" in WHMCS, and the client can initiate an upgrade from their Client Area before the trial period expires.

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed this free trial mod. I created a copy of one of my services and set it to free. In Upgrades, I selected the paid version of the service and I checked the box that says "Tick this box to allow Upgrading/Downgrading of configurable options".

However, after I order this and process the order as a customer, I look in the details page for the product but there's no upgrade button there. Any clue why?

• 1 month later...

I just made a new version of this module addon featuring the following:

- Added two extra reminders and a final notice (for noticing termination).

- Added the ability to send the reminders even if the account is set to "suspended" in case for some reason you manually suspend it before the free trial accounts expires.

- Added automatic suspension upon free trial expiration instead only termination. So you can choose in between both options following the details below:

Opting in manually terminating the free trial accounts you must deactivate the "Cancellation Requests" option in "Miscellaneous" (and maybe also "Enable Termination" option in "Automatic Module Functions") in "Setup > Automation Settings" in your WHMCS settings. For more information on "Automation Settings" see <http://wiki.whmcs.com/Automation_Settings>

This feature is often used in case you want to send the reminders and the final notice but manually give a grace period for possible clients that for some reason could not get to upgrade their accounts in time, so the client will get the final notice alerting that the account was terminated but in fact it was just automatically suspended and it is up to you when you wish to terminate it (useful in small hosting business).

If you don't want this feature just leave the WHMCS automation settings untouched and don't set a final notice template or cron job for it. The free trial accounts will be normally terminated upon expiration.

If anybody interested let me know... it is free!

• 1 month later...
This randomly stopped working for me and I can't figure out how to get it working again no matter what I do whenever I run the cron it doesn't do anything :/

If it randomly stopped working, I would contact the hosting company and find out if they made any PHP upgrades recently.

• 2 weeks later...

I am actually using WHMCS to manage billing for a web-based subscription service (not hosting). My various "products" include varying numbers of client access licenses. I was hoping that this trial module would allow an expired trial product to revert to a separate free product. In other words, the trial user initially has access to 50 user access licenses. If they don't subscribe to a "paid" account within 30 days, the trial then reverts to a different free account with only 3 user access licenses - one which they can keep indefinitely. I hope that makes sense. Basically, I don't want expired accounts to terminate, I want them to revert to a different free account with less bells and whistles.

Do you think I could mod this so that this would work? I was going to simply write a separate cron script and use the API to do all this, but I would rather be able to manage it all inside WHMCS.