replacement module for HyperVM

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm, at this point I would be hesitant to trust a product from Lxlabs. It's a tragedy what happened, however many people feel that the code has serious flaws in general. I'd feel more comfortable going with something else that is (hopefully) more robust and better engineered.

One thought...maybe a front runner for a new WHMCS module should be VDSmanager, since another billing package already supports it. They wouldn't have implemented it unless there was sufficient demand, and I've seen quite a few people on WHT switching over to it. I'll probably do it too. It would be great to be able to automate it without switching billing packages...I much prefer WHMCS.

There are already many developers on WHT developing a HyperVM alternative. Some includes SolusVM, Voxtro VM, which looks promising. However, I do have my doubts on Voxtro as the developing company is also a hosting provider itself...

We tested VDSmanager extensively almost a year ago, and I found it to be exceptional. The only thing that kept us from using it was the cost...many times more than HyperVM (with a comparable feature set). I asked ISPsystems if they could offer more flexible pricing, but they basically said, "Put a bunch of VPSs on your server and the cost per VPS won't be that bad." But I believe in multiple smaller servers as opposed to fewer big servers...so that strategy doesn't work for me.

But I digress...to answer your question, I've given VDSmanager a good workout on CentOS 5.x, and the only issues were:

• Various little quirks and typos in the documentation and interface
  • No reliable Xen support yet (but that's supposedly right around the corner)

Support was always very responsive.

HTH

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We're making our own - almost ready for use (we're not releasing it publicly/selling it, its in-house only). We'll probably also be moving the support desk into the new system as it would allow much tighter integration with the individual control panel areas.

Not 100% sure what we're doing billing wise yet. Our plan is to stay with WHMCS for now, however we'll have to see if it would be worth looking into our own custom solution. I do like WHMCS but having control over your own code is a weight off the mind :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...