replacement module for HyperVM

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the problem guys - neither Xenserver nor VMWare ESXi have any kind of role-based, multi-user access. This is the problem with most of the virtualization management solutions out there. In order to manage the VM's, you have to have full root level access to the server - you can't easily assign management of a single VM to a user with limited access, let alone manage something like reseller level acess. So, unless you are essentially asking the WHMCS staff to code all of the user level access stuff as part of the server module, those solutions are simply not viable for use in a hosting environment. ESXi's license doesn't even allow it to be used for hosted services anyway.

VTONF would be a possibility, but is a dead project by most accounts, and virtlib looks like a great framework, but has absolutely no user interface at all.

This leaves us with a few realistic, viable choices for providing VPS hosting -

Virtuozzo

VDS Manager

SolusVM - Looks promising, but not even out of beta yet

Radar - Unkown if it has user level access

If anyone thinks there is another viable solution for providing VPS hosting that can be automated by WHMCS, I'd love to hear it. In my book, those are those are the only 4 realistic options I've found so far. I'd suggest that we restrict our votes to those 4 platforms unless someone else can show that there are other viable platforms for VPS hosting providers out there.

1st choice is for xenserver5 also. Seems like a very user friendly and robust system. Not sure if they have API.

they do, but its easy enough to control from simple shell scripts ... depending on how our current workload goes, we might release a xen control/deploy module in a couple of months.

Problem with Virtuozzo is the absurd pricing model, not to mention the support horror stories I've heard. In summary, I've heard that it's a great product that's not very well supported, yet it's priced so high that it's hard to be profitable with it.

I really like VDSmanager, but it's not cheap either.

Problem with Virtuozzo is the absurd pricing model, not to mention the support horror stories I've heard. In summary, I've heard that it's a great product that's not very well supported, yet it's priced so high that it's hard to be profitable with it.

like there werent horror stories with hypervm.....

I do agree the pricing is pretty high. Wouldnt be so bad if they didnt restrict them to a specific server.

Unfortunately there really isnt a replacement for hypervm available if you were using xen such as myself. =/

Its actually not that bad . If you work it out , you can purchase VPS containers from as little as $2/ Month depending on your pricing tier/partner level. We have tested 4 -5 open source /commercial Hypervisor and Vz panels in the last 6-8 weeks and Virtuozzo is by far the most feature rich and simple to use interface I have seen, in my opinion. The customer frontend support might be poor, I have no experience of that but the software support is behind the product you can be sure of that .

Everyone just vote for yourself solution. I'm thinking in community and searching for similar support. HyperVM offer support for both: XEN and OPENVZ. All these solutions that everyone offer just support ONE model.

LIBVIRT offer support for BOTH and many others AND IS FREE. Just think about it. I'm not using it, but comparing ALL these solutions, libvirt is the most robust for EVERYONE, indifferent that you use XEN or OPENVZ, because both are supported.

guys, I agree. While Virtuzzo is great, it doesn't cater for everyone's needs. It doesn't offer full virtualization, nor can it run multiple operating systems. And I really really hate how it shares RAM & CPU.

With XEN / KVM / VMware / QEMU, each VPS has it's own RAM / CPU and thus a problematic VPS won't bring down the whole server.

Many people have requested Virtuzzo support, and I (like many) feel that it should be a seperate module. If you get Virtuzzo support, then what about the other 50% who doesn't ( and won't) use Virtuzzo?

Everyone just vote for yourself solution. I'm thinking in community and searching for similar support. HyperVM offer support for both: XEN and OPENVZ. All these solutions that everyone offer just support ONE model.

LIBVIRT offer support for BOTH and many others AND IS FREE. Just think about it. I'm not using it, but comparing ALL these solutions, libvirt is the most robust for EVERYONE, indifferent that you use XEN or OPENVZ, because both are supported.

It doesn't mean it support both Xen & OpenVZ it is good. The features, security, versatility and diversity is still not very widely known yet.

It doesn't mean it support both Xen & OpenVZ it is good. The features, security, versatility and diversity is still not very widely known yet.

Libvirt is just an api, so i have no idea why its being suggested unless someone is expecting matt to actually make a full cp for it.

Libvirt is just an api, so i have no idea why its being suggested unless someone is expecting matt to actually make a full cp for it.

I would agree. Libvirt may be very capable and probably very easy to setup a provisioning module from WHMCS, I don't believe it would be valuable for most of us. Without a customer interface, the module is providing very little value. I think the best option is for Matt and team to provide two modules. I'm asking for 2, because I don't think we will ever agree on 1.

Module 1: VM provisioning ... either Vmware, Xen, or something else

Module 2: VPS provisioning ... hopefully Virtuozzo, but possibly OpenVZ as a second choice.

I think we can all agree on 2 things... 1) that there is no tool that provides both of these capabilities and 2) neither solution is 100% of the answer for 100% of WHMCS users. We prefer the VPS model, but others prefer the VM model (as defined above).

There has been enough demand for both types of virtualization and should be easy to justify the effort.

My 2 cents.

I tried to point out the problems with libvirt and several of the other suggested modules, but apparently my post was not valuable enough to get past the moderators. Most of the solutions being presented here have serious problems that make them unusable for hosted VPS services.