Paypal IPN setup

Sitecenter

Only issue now is if you have a Paypal account which takes payments from different sources, such as hosting and then a webstore.

That is the point of the "notify_url" option that WHMCS passes to PayPal (for the callback). Our PayPal account is just over a year old, and we were able to leave the notification URL (in our PayPal preferences) blank, with no problems.

That is the point of the "notify_url" option that WHMCS passes to PayPal (for the callback). Our PayPal account is just over a year old, and we were able to leave the notification URL (in our PayPal preferences) blank, with no problems.

Same here. It's fine if every thing's working. The point of this thread is that it can no longer be left blank if you go into your Paypal settings

• WHMCS CEO
Only issue now is if you have a Paypal account which takes payments from different sources, such as hosting and then a webstore.

Shouldn't be a problem as even though you have to set an url in the account, the notify_url passed in payment requests overides it. That's why it doesn't matter what url you actually put in the PayPal account setting.

Matt

This could actually be a good thing for those folks who are migrating to WHMCS and have a lot of paypal subscriptions I think which dont have a notify_url in them.

I haven't test it yet BUT.. here is my scenario,

Have 200+ Paypal Subscriptions.

Migrating accounts into WHMCS from WHM Servers.

Once migrated in, the account info is manually updated with subscription number etc, due date and so on.

If i actually do fill out my IPN URL in paypal will it then notify WHMCS of the subscription payment for a manually setup client that didnt start their subscription off using WHMCS?

I am hoping Matt might let me know before i try this :) or anyone else

• 3 years later...
Here is the answer from Matt: " If there has been a change then it must be on PayPal's side. If you can't leave it blank just enter WHMCSURL/modules/gateways/callback/paypal.php"

FYI: When I use this URL, the Instant Payment Notification (IPN) simulator complains...

IPN Delivery Failed. HTTP error code 406: Not Acceptable

...but this appears in my access_log:

173.0.81.33 - - [27/Mar/2013:06:04:29 +0000] "POST /whmcs/modules/gateways/callback/paypal.php HTTP/1.0" 406 399 "-" "PayPal Sandbox"

See my post "IPN Delivery Failed" for more detail.

Instant Payment Notification (IPN)

For PayPal invoices to be automatically marked paid when you receive a payment you need to enable IPN inside your PayPal account. This is done in the My Account > Profile > My Selling Preferences > Instant payment notifications. It's not important what URL you use so set it to your system url eg. http://www.yourdomain.com/whmcspath/ Then select the "Enabled" option.

Using the URL shown here doesn't allow for testing but it does satisfy PayPal's requirements that "Notification URL" field not be blank.