ssecor39

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Sparky,

We have proof from our Google Analytics that Host Veteran came to our site on October 29 for 4 visits. We tracked 2 visits on November 15th and 3 visits on November 16th. We do not know when Host Veteran published their site. It is safe to say it was very recent due to the fact that up until yesterday afternoon domaintools.com was still showing Host Veteran's old website thumbnail and by evening time, they were showing their current incarnation.

Google Analytics - Precise Hosting.jpg

Hello to all,

We just got this response from Host Veteran this evening:

Hello Scott, I have been busy trying to get in contact with the designer that sold me this template. I have failed to get a reply from him. I have also gone thru every image and html file on my server. After doing this I have noticed that there sure are a few images that are not being used by any of my html pages. However these few images are being used on your site. I have also checked archive.com and you sure did have this template first. I am now very suspicious of this template and will be purchasing a new template very soon from a reputable source. I am going to give my designer in question two days from today to respond to my contact attempts. If he does not respond by 11-19-08 I will take the template in question down immediately and destroy all files. I will also notify PayPal about this situation and see if I can get my money back. If I get my refund I will send half of it your way as a gift for your troubles. At that time I will also give you all the contact information of said designer so you may put a stop to this.

Thank You

Hi Striddy,

Yes it does! Funny now the isp block is lifted and we can get to www.hostveteran.com. The previous response from Host Veteran states that they went to archive.com and its showing that our site was up first. First of all, that site goes to a generic site that is a portal. Secondly, www.archive.org it the correct site and we don't have history on our site for 2008 yet from there as it has not published it to the archives. Host Veteran has no history whatsoever.

Good thought using the way back machine. It is funny to look back at some of our designs.

I get

http://www.hostveteran.com/'>http://www.hostveteran.com/

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.10 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.10 OpenSSL/0.9.8i DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at http://www.hostveteran.com Port 80

Also, being able to identify the name of the person you need to speak to is a good idea. I might be that the business owner, knows nothing about what a supplier or employee might have done.

Glad to see that the owner of HV was prepeared play ball. It certainly pays not to go off half cocked and assume it was his mess.

If he does manage to get his money back, rememeber that he'll also be looking for a new designer that will provide him a good product (hopefully at a good price). He's already familiar with the quality of your work ;)

The link works outside of this site... it looks like another one blocking referrals from this site.

By works, I mean displays a splash page.. looks like they may be willing to play ball.

Besides, look at the link below their main site... http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hostveteran.com%2F

But, upon digging deeper, it looks like everything's still there - the sub pages are still live with the layout, as is the forum.

Edited by DeanClinton

I'm glad that things are now starting to swing in your favour Scott and hope you are able to put a stop to this soon. I certainly appreciate the way you have gone about dealing with this matter and am learning accordingly, for which my thanks. :)

Edited by redrat

Nice find, Dean. Seems they are the thieves after all, and the mysterious "designer" is a bunch of BS. The ASO rip even has missing pages for things they didn't steal like "products", "support" and "contact".

I let ASO know, and I hope this time they go after the upstream provider. Thieves shouldn't be allowed to stay on line.

Just in case someone has missed or doesn't know about the .htaccess to protect files.

This is what I use in the public_html directory

Protects configuration.php, all .txt (lang files) and all .tpl

as well as turning off directory browsing

# protect configuration.php

<files configuration.php>

order allow,deny

deny from all

</files>

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http(s)?://(www\.)?tshosting.com.au [NC]

RewriteRule \.(txt|tpl)$ - [NC,F,L]

# disable the server signature

ServerSignature Off

# disable directory browsing

Options All -Indexes

Good Morning to all,

The past few days has been a whirlwind of activity bringing much needed attention to the growing problem of website piracy. Having been a recent victim of website theft, its time to band together and at least get the word out to the masses. Our goal is to put our collective heads together and provide information and steps to resolve this ever growing problem. We are asking for collective thoughts and ideas for our new website entitled www.nomorerip.com

This site will be an advocacy for website piracy and outlet for small business owners like yourselves to share preventive measures and to track and report website theft out in the wild.

Please join us in making the internet a much more genuine and unique place to share out talents and works.

Just in case someone has missed or doesn't know about the .htaccess to protect files.

Sparky, will this affect robots/spyders/archive robots?

i don't think it will but will probably be adding this code in, just need to ensure it doesn't block the above, if it does of which aspects.

Regards

Hi Bear,

It's amazing how this HostBrella keep getting away with it... they definately need shutting down - I'd already put in a ticked with ASO the minute I found it.

Remember guys, there are two sites mentioned within this thread - HV and HB - HV have so far been co-operative with the original poster, HB have taken it down and then stolen another...

Ideas for nomorerip? A place where people can submit sites that have stolen the layout - an admin could then verify the theft, alert the website and if no response to the allegation would be named and shamed on the site - helping to destroy their google PR by duplicating parts of their sites on nomorerip (duplicate content and all).

MWAHAHAH :P

Hello Sparky and thank you for posting your .htaccess. What does the following section do, and what is the difference if you just added .tpl and .txt files to the files directive part instead (ie. where you specified configuration.php)?

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http(s)?://(www\.)?tshosting.com.au [NC]

RewriteRule \.(txt|tpl)$ - [NC,F,L]

Edited by apollo1

That takes anyone that calls a txt or tpl file directly and shows them a 403 "forbidden" error instead of that file.

NC: Case insensitive

F: Forbidden

L: last (stop processing)

!^: doesn't start with

The files directive requires you to add all files individually. This code above disallows all tpl and txt files at once.

No, I get a message in a white box:

We are in the process of upgrading our website...

If you are a current customer and require support please use our temporary client area by clicking on the link below.

Thank You!

Click Here For Support

Support links to a generic WHMCS install.

Of course...direct links still have the ripped design:

http://www.hostveteran.com/website-hosting.html