which cms is the best ???

Snoop012

Hey...

I was running hosting last year, but coming into some difficulty had to shut down, unfortunately.

Of course i will be using WHMCS as my billing script(once i get my site online), but last time i was using Joomla! but it was a total NIGHTMARE to get integrated with WHMCS.

Now what are the dis-advantages of using a custom made template to fit around WHMCS? So i won't using a CMS, just a custom template.

Or, i could go back to using a CMS, but what should i use? Heres my options...

1. Joomla!

2. Drupal

3. e107

4. Nuke-Evolution

Nuke evolution is a great CMS, heres a demo of hosting site with it running, http://www.dfg-gaming.com

What's your thoughts?

Just to throw another into the mix, Expression Engine - http://www.expressionengine.com

If you want complete design flexibility, I've not found anything better. It's not free though. I've used Wordpress, Joomla (ick!!), phpWebSite, phpNuke (double ick!!!), TextPattern, Drupal and even MoveableType. They mostly suffer from either being rigid block layout portal style sites with limited design felxibility or jumped up blog software that you can bend to uses they weren't intended for. Expression Engine is much less rigid although does require a bit of investment in learning some template syntax.

See also Ryan Irelan's excellent EE Insider site - http://eeinsider.com/ and his screencast tutorials.

I do most of my sites using EE now. Start by designing it in Photoshop/HTML/CSS then 'light up' the site you've made converting it into templates. It's totally the opposite way most CMS sites get built where you have a theme you modify but you're restricted by site wide layout or grids built into the way the CMS works. I shudder when I get asked to do Joomla sites and the client hands me a Photoshop file of how they want it to look.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This may be an old thread by now, but the content is likely interesting for years (?) to come.

I've not noticed anybody mentioning that both Drupal and WHMCS is built using smarty, which I assume could make some kind of difference?

Otherwise I kind of have to agree with phpforfun about the best cms system be just plain html/php pages.

I WOULD like to find a more pure CMS system that does what Magento does really nicely about allowing to use different domains and different languages and setting up sitemaps etc for all in just a snap. Anybody know of any such CMS?