Can WHMCS be set to bill for bandwidth / disk overage?

ntemple

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Currenty whmcs can retrive that informations from control panel. So, is very easy to add this feature.

AWBS can charge customers after disk or bandwidth usage. So, this feature can be added to WHMCS too! Let's request to developers!!!

ditto. Open a request and i will support it. Directadmin + cPanel support !! :P

You can set WHM to send bandwidth notices in Tweak Settings when the user reaches various stages.

eg..

Email users when they have reached 70% of their bandwidth

Email users when they have reached 75% of their bandwidth

Email users when they have reached 80% of their bandwidth

Email users when they have reached 85% of their bandwidth

Email users when they have reached 90% of their bandwidth

Email users when they have reached 95% of their bandwidth

Email users when they have reached 97% of their bandwidth

Email users when they have reached 98% of their bandwidth

Email users when they have reached 99% of their bandwidth

However the billing part would need a little work in WHMCS prob by Matt because the file needed to change in ioncubed.

Could be compleated with a cron that is run each day BEFORE the WHMCS cron. This cron would check what accounts are ending today. Then check the bandwidth accrued on the account VS the pacage allowance. Then using the API create and invoice for the customer and bill them for it.

If people like the idea of this i will knock up the script that does it and an admin module to config it (price/ grace allowance).

Any takers/thoughts.

No! WHMCS can charge per each megabyte exceeded from the original plan for both, bandwidth and diskspace, exactly as AWBS do!

Due its all about options.

You can OPTIONALLY have a threshold.

Think that post is rather rude tbh.

PS. This is WHMCS not AWBS.

So, long story short i did a little research into this.

There are two options regarding getting bandwidth used:

1. access '/var/cpanel/bandwidth/' under which bandwidth WHM monitors is under each domain

2. use CPanel's API to obtain the same information (i can't however, find if the API actually has that implemented as all documentation regarding it is extremely old)

Both of the above options return the same value, albeit an aproximiate value created by WHM.

I would think, after you've calculated the totals for the domains under each account you would check it against the account bandwidth maximum and use the WHMCS API to generate and automatically send an invoice for the overage.

I'm not proficient at perl but might try and tackle it in php.

Unfortunatly i'd really like to see that information associated with the user's package but i don't know enough about WHMCS to integrate it in such a manner.. anyone have any ideas on how to go about it?

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...
No! WHMCS can charge per each megabyte exceeded from the original plan for both, bandwidth and diskspace, exactly as AWBS do!

Confused - First you say it can then you say request it as a new feature which is it yes or no, you madea post saying it can then when people ask you how you say request it as a new feature......

Can WHMCS be set to bill for bandwidth / disk overage?

If so ... how?

If not ... is the API robust enough to write such a module?

Suggestions appreciated!

No, WHMCS can't bill for bandwidth / disk overage. Althought cPanel can send out noticed to notify that client that his bandwidht is almost used up, WHMCS can't do anything with, and won't send out a new invoice for the xtra bandwidth / disk spaced used.

Overage billing is an essential part of running a successful hosting business. Without overage billing you might be loosing thousands of dollars every month.

I agree we put in a feature request to have this implemented.

You have to consider that each control panel has it's own way of doing things and this will present a challenge for the WHMCS developers. For example the way to retrieve overage statistics from cPanel is completely different than retrieving statistics from Plesk.

But in essence the billing part could be the same. A general algorithm could at the end of the month calculate how much the client has and what they are limited to. That should then be multiplied by the overage charge and an invoice created and sent to the client. The daily cron could update these statistics.

I see in the WHMCS database tblhosting there are four (five?) fields that seems to cater for this:

diskusage

disklimit

bwusage

bwlimit

[lastupdate]

Does anybody know what these fields are used for?

Hi Eugene,

What you're saying is very true, but it's not currently possible with WHMCS.

Those fields are used to indicate the limits & track the usage. BUT, it doesn't send out invoices for over-usage. So, although WHMCS already knows & indicates bandwidth over-usages, it doesn't send out invoices yet.

I think for this to happen, one would nee to have an extra option somewhere, to indicate how much extra bandwidth costs. Ideally, this should be in the package setup, next to the pricing options (maybe a new tab?) with bandwidth over-usage, and then let you specify how much the bandwidth will be per MB & GB?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think if we can get the WHMCS side of things complete, as in generating the required invoices if the limit calculation requires, all we then need is for some of us to write code to populate those fields in the database from our respective control panels.

Getting the information into the tblHosting table should be easy, getting WHMCS to generate an invoice - perhaps not so easy.

• 2 weeks later...

How many people are interested in getting a WHMCS addon that would bill clients for going over the alotted bandwidth and disk space?

If there are enough people I can put something together, the only thing is that I usually charge for scripting work. Depending on the interest however I most likely will do it out of the goodness of my heart.