V3.6.1 Preview Feedback

Matt

Really love the new clients area. specifically i like the new sub navigation clients can choose from so its not all on one screen

AND

I see you linked the graphics from the home page to their respective areas, great enhancement.

also really like the intellegent search feature.. thats cool. love to get my hands on that ajax code for my own projects.. care to share the framework on that one...?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Must be a browser thing, here's mine in FF.....

screenieih4.png

looks like a small issue with browsers, maybe firefox needs quotes for column widths?. or maybe the description one needs a width...

<td>Description</td><td width=90>Amount</td><td width=50>Taxed</td><td width=20>
maybe jordan can look at the code and fix that one..

Ok I have a mayor issue, and it's more like a privacy issue.

I DO want my employees to access the home page (cause that where they do the intellegent search from) but I do not want them to see how much our income is. This is completely private information and none of thier business. I'm glad we have the left layout, but I would like for our company income not to be seen be other users.

1- I DO want my employees to access the home page (cause that where they do the intellegent search from) but I do not want them to see how much our income is. This is completely private information and none of thier business. I'm glad we have the left layout, but I would like for our company income not to be seen be other users.

Read the dev page:

257 Update Only show income statistics on admin homepage if the admins role allows access to Sidebar Statistics Implemented

:roll:

Matt:

1) can bulk be disabled. To much queries makes several whois servers disable your server Ip for a while, repeatedly abusing whois will get the IP on blacklist.

Only for admin it could be handy someday to have a bulk whois.

2) Can previous whois be used. We have over 100 cc/TLD the list would become a real mess if current presentation is used, and we still would have issues (see 1) that people would select more cc/TLD than they are going to purchase.

Matt:

1) can bulk be disabled. To much queries makes several whois servers disable your server Ip for a while, repeatedly abusing whois will get the IP on blacklist.

Only for admin it could be handy someday to have a bulk whois.

I would also welcome the ability to disable bulk queries, nice suggestion newbie :)

For those of us who use the Kayako Support Suite Integration, is it possible to either use that Support Tickets table on the home page for something else, or actually show the correct information from kayako system ?

We need more kayako support deffo!

I just had a closer look at the beta. Like others, I don't think much of the front page. The client summary page is significantly improved, though. I especially like the listing of contacts and products on there. My criticisms:

1) For additional contacts, I would consider phone number to be more important than email address on the summary screen.

2) More clickable links. eg, contact name could be the email address or a link to the contact page, most of the client stats have related pages (making much of the Actions redundant), and most of the headings also have clickable links (although this does duplicate some of the tabs).

3) imho, three columns wide is a bit cluttered, especially when there's also a left menu column. I'd rather see two columns, and possibly Admin Notes being full-width.

4) Possibly include last 5 invoices and last 5 notes in the summary screen. If these are added, they should go above Products.

I just had a closer look at the beta. Like others, I don't think much of the front page. The client summary page is significantly improved, though. I especially like the listing of contacts and products on there. My criticisms:

1) For additional contacts, I would consider phone number to be more important than email address on the summary screen.

2) More clickable links. eg, contact name could be the email address or a link to the contact page, most of the client stats have related pages (making much of the Actions redundant), and most of the headings also have clickable links (although this does duplicate some of the tabs).

3) imho, three columns wide is a bit cluttered, especially when there's also a left menu column. I'd rather see two columns, and possibly Admin Notes being full-width.

4) Possibly include last 5 invoices and last 5 notes in the summary screen. If these are added, they should go above Products.

Yeh, I agree with #4 strongly. There are notes, but there needs to be an alert or something in red letting staff know there is a note so they can read it before taking action. This needs to be applied everywhere notes are used.

Clientexec have implemented this. This can be vital for dedi companies, especially if a client needs something performing before a reboot or after which is critical.

I would like to see all those pretty graphics scroll down from the top with an AJAX script or something.... Maybe partially transparent backgroup and a smooth scrolling dropdown. Not that would be nice. I graphs would be there for those that want to drop it down, and consealed for those that dont want to see those bars all the time.

I'm not to bothered about the template either. I am not even on 3.6.* yet, and because I have a custom template I don't want to switch to 3.6.0 to switch again in a week.

I don't mind waiting, but I don't think the template should have much done about it. As said, you can replace it with the old one if you wish.

I'm not to bothered about the template either. I am not even on 3.6.* yet, and because I have a custom template I don't want to switch to 3.6.0 to switch again in a week.

I don't mind waiting, but I don't think the template should have much done about it. As said, you can replace it with the old one if you wish.

If each 4 to 6 weeks a new version appears you better wait, we are also skipping 3.6.0 because of this. Each time we have to manually check EVERY custom files (templates and language files) because nothing is documented properly.

Even the langauge files that come with WHMCS contains spelling errors, chillest language usage or in two cases companyname/url of another company.

We rather see in detail changes documented so that we only have to change somethings within files and replace the upgraded on. In the past not the complete WHMCS was updated.

Despite WHMCS is doing a nice jobs in automating certain tasks, upgrading is a hell and brakes more then you want. Custom whois (because whmcs whoisservers doesn't work for over 60 domains), and the new function of bulk just will cause whoisservers to block your IP and then no one can order something.

We saw several (at least 30) changes in the last few months that we suggested.

The need for WHMCS starts when someone start to sell several hosting/domains products and that starts with marketing. We'd rather see better documentation and improving current solution over adding new functions and changing design with each version.

Well,

Not sure how big your company is, but we have over 1300 customers, over 2000 registered domains, and over 200 streaming customers.

While I have to agree with your complaint for better documentation and a lighter way of upgrading, I have to dissagree with lowering the importance of new features. Really, WHMCS does not create many new features, but more like expansions to current features.

Our company, unlike yours from what I read, has been upgrading with every single release, becuase those new functions are critical for us and are important, and I assume other hosting companies similar to ours (like most that would buy whmcs anyways) probably consider these new functions important, and can't wait to implement them.

I think Matt is heading in the right direction. I cannot see my company running or getting any bigger without WMHCS' continuos devlopment.

Specially for the miserable price we've paid for it.

Keep up the good work guys.

I also have to agree with some of this... I also think that first all reported bugs should be fixed before adding something new like new graphs at admin home page that nobody really needs.

New features and improvements are welcome, but still I think that any existing bug, no matter how small it is, if it is reported it should be fixed first, before any new feature or design changes...

No, not realy, just take a look at bugs forum... There are lot's of small bugs that are just ignored, because they are probably considered as not important, but some of them are much more important to me than admin home page graphs... :)

I believe you are mistaken. Bugs are taken care of along the way. Unfortunetaly new ones appear over time. Sorry that is the way it works in the software world!

As for documentation, all changed files are listed and really doesn't matter if you use a program that compares files. All differences will be highlighted and you can choose what to have brought forward. Do you document all the changes you make along with added or changed files?

I find WHMCS very easy to upgrade and don't even use any documented changes as Wenmerge shows me the differences from my current setup. Upgrades are done before uploading and only require minimal time.

We do not use WHMCS for financial or tax reporting, we export the information to excell, and then let some employee check that information, with reality (accounting) and it is sad to see that there each months a difference. Matt said that it isn't a bug, but the perspective on how you look at administration.

While in the whole world you purchase something (domainname) and sell it (revenue) - (costs domainname + costs organisation) = profit.

In WHMCS (3.5) it stills doesn't work that way.

Just take a look at your "income" which should be your revenue.

"For firms, income generally refers to net-profit"

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income

If that can be improved will make allot of people happy, because you will not be needing an additional accounting program or Excell.

As for documentation, all changed files are listed and really doesn't matter if you use a program that compares files. All differences will be highlighted and you can choose what to have brought forward. Do you document all the changes you make along with added or changed files?

Have you ever compared the language files that comes with WHMCS with each other in the past?

Even those are not the same. If changes (added or removed strings) in language files are documentation, it would not cost more then online of script to add or remove the changes to ALL currently language files, instead to have to replace them.

And yes, we also have a daughter company (we have several) in software development field that documents ANY change, it has to do with software liability laws within Europe that you have to be able to proof afterwards that your changes didn't cause issues at your software users, because they are or notified (with documentation) about certain change that would affect hem and that any change made has a certain reason.

If you have script with 10 lines then it would be overkill, but for projects where a complete business is running on (in this case several businesses) you have to be accountable for your software.