Hi @evolve hosting,

Domains cannot be renewed by 10 years, which is why the max renewal length admins can specify is 9 years.

Namecheap has quite a good article explaining it: https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/770/35/is-it-possible-to-registerrenew-a-domain-name-for-more-than-10-years/

Case CORE-17240 ensures that the 9 year renewal price is automatically assigned to a domain record when saving a 10 year domain using the Auto Recalculate on Save option.

Hi @WHMCS John thanks and I'm well aware of that rule. It's fine for customers wishing to manually renew early through the portal. However, if a customer originally registers a domain for 10 years OR they call / email us and say 'set it up so that the next time I get a renewal invoice (at the end of their current expiration date), it renews for 10 years', we should be able to do this on the admin side and then allow the invoice to be automatically generated, sent to them and auto debited at the appropriate time. Right?

If a customer buys a domain for 10 years, they'd often like to renew it for another 10 years when the time comes, not 9 years. It's also short changing us. I am going to look into it but hopefully I can override this on the admin side and manually enter a 10 year price there.

So I am able to override this and I looked at a domain originally registered for 10 years when purchased. It shows as 10 years for the registration period and renewal rate. Therefore, we should be able to save a price for 10 years within the domain pricing section of the admin site.

Leave the customer portal area as is, where it limits the number of years you can register it for. I agree that's working the way it should.

Hi @evolve hosting,

10 year domain orders will auto renew for 9 years. Clients will be invoiced the 9 year renewal price specified at the time of ordering, and a 9 year renewal request is sent to your domain registrar.

Can you help me understand why one would want to invoice a client for a 10 year renewal, when the maximum possible is extension is 9 years? Isn't the client being short-changed a year?

3 minutes ago, WHMCS John said:

Hi @evolve hosting,

10 year domain orders will auto renew for 9 years. Clients will be invoiced the 9 year renewal price specified at the time of ordering, and a 9 year renewal request is sent to your domain registrar.

Can you help me understand why one would want to invoice a client for a 10 year renewal, when the maximum possible is extension is 9 years? Isn't the client being short-changed a year?

I get it that it's tricky but if the customer pays the renewal invoice on the date of expiration or during the grace period, they should be able to renew it for 10 years, IMO. Also, we manually check these things and make sure the customer wouldn't get short changed that year. We would just manually increase the renewal for 1 more year as soon as possible directly through the registrars site. I get that it's a manual process but for us, it's better customer service and not that hard to do.

Hi @evolve hosting,

Thanks for sharing your use-case details, that's valuable for us to know.

I'd say the majority of the feedback we see from admins, is that automation is the most important factor - particularly when dealing with domains at scale and low margins. So this is an effort to prevent  renewals of 10 year domain orders failing due to an invalid renewal term.

If there's consensus on a third-way that meets both needs, then we'd be open to considering that in future.

4 minutes ago, WHMCS John said:

Hi @evolve hosting,

Thanks for sharing your use-case details, that's valuable for us to know.

I'd say the majority of the feedback we see from admins, is that automation is the most important factor - particularly when dealing with domains at scale and low margins. So this is an effort to prevent  renewals of 10 year domain orders failing due to an invalid renewal term.

If there's consensus on a third-way that meets both needs, then we'd be open to considering that in future.

Hi @WHMCS John

How about just allowing us to save a renewal price for a 10 year renewal on the admin side? I think that would take care of it because you already have the code in place through the customer portal to prevent them from going over the 10 year mark. If we can save that price on the admin side, we can override as an admin (dealing with our customers that mail in checks or pay a little bit later, etc), how we see fit for our customers.

On 4/21/2022 at 5:46 PM, evolve hosting said:

but if the customer pays the renewal invoice on the date of expiration or during the grace period, they should be able to renew it for 10 years

They can still only renew for 9 with most registries / registrars even if they have allowed it to pass the current expiry date - all the main reseller focussed registrars will reject a renew period > 9

On 4/30/2022 at 11:38 PM, othellotech said:

They can still only renew for 9 with most registries / registrars even if they have allowed it to pass the current expiry date - all the main reseller focussed registrars will reject a renew period > 9

This was actually a bug in WHMCS in the past. I had several users select 10 years in WHMCS for renewal and of course if failed in the registrar.