Fringe

Is this Price hike real?

27 minutes ago, Kian said:

I'm not a big fan of making such comparison. It's obvious that secondary brands always play the "bro-card". Exhibiting a customer-friendly attitude is the minimum you can do to attract customers. Ages ago in this very community we had the staff partecipating and actually listening to people. This is no longer needed when you affirm yourself as the leading company. Especially when you made competitors irrelevant for more than a decade. Everyone eventually ends up doing it.

It's just a question of time (and money) before Blesta will turn into WHMCS. I've seen it happening countless of times. Every time a company increases prices or does something unpopular, a chunk of customers moves to the competitor that assures them they will never do that because they "highly value your feedback" or any other bull💩-catchphrases.  Few years later they manage to become relevant and end up taking almost the same decisions so the cycle repeats. Join, invest time, leave, repeat.

I've worked with hundreds - if not thousands - of providers and all these mass migrations to "copies of inverior value" never solved anything. The few that cyclically switch software because of things like price increase keep going backwards. Like it or not WHMCS is the best software to run a hosting business. Same goes for Plesk or cPanel. Every provider is free to move to competitors (Blesta, Direct Admin, ISPConfig... name one) but they're condemning themselfs to decline. I don't see how one can boost the growth of his/her business by constantly downgrading technology level and by using second-class solutions.

I'm not saying that one should stick to one software for the rest of his life. I'm saying that one should leave the boat only if it is sinking or is bringing you to the wrong place. If you don't see any future with WHMCS then leaving is not only fine but mandatory. On the other hand if one is leaving just for price increase convicing himself that Blesta is better or because their staff is more friendly or again because they promised you something, let me underline that:

• Fact: WHMCS is better
  • Friendliness will go away when it is no longer needed
  • When Blesta will need more funds, who you gonna call? Price increase!
  • Be prepared to leave Blesta for HostBill followed by HostBill, Ubersmith, ClientExec...

In my opinion the real issue here is not if X is better or cheaper or friendlier than Y. You can take as granted that in this whole industry every software that counts costs you more and more. Or even worse wants a % of your revenue. This is the root of the issue. All software companies share the same needs (lot of funds) and adopt (or will adopt) the same revenue model. I don't see how bouncing between the same stuff can make a significant difference.

My 2 cent.

Only HB and WHMCS have put themselves in that exact position afaik in terms of billing solution, Others have had security issues (Think free ones... lol) But I agree, Sideways moves are counter intuitive and bad for business! I would never engage in one! I genuinely believe I'm upgrading for my use-case!  As an added bonus, We don't need to raise prices for new customers.... So double win for us! 

WHMCS can be the best, Depending upon your needs - If you need support, security or ability to change things then it isn't 😉

P.S. I wanted at least 3 cents 😉 

One piece of software i'm looking forward to is Leap - Interested to see what you come up with! 

15 minutes ago, UnwilfulExpenditure said:

One piece of software i'm looking forward to is Leap - Interested to see what you come up with! 

Unless there's more than one LEAP Software company, their website says they make legal software.

17 minutes ago, evolve hosting said:

Unless there's more than one LEAP Software company, their website says they make legal software.

There's a man called Kian, Who lingers around here - Not so much anymore due to incompetence of whmcs....   that is making an opensource billing platform! If you scroll up you'll find him 😛 

https://github.com/Katamaze/Leap#readme

18 hours ago, evolve hosting said:

I don't think this has been updated for years and is Blesta running this site or someone independent?

Mike Dance, a devoted Blesta fanboy, is behind that site, or at least was at some point. He sells it, moderates their community, actually works for them in some capacity (see his name on articles he's edited) and was behind several failed hosting companies and previous license selling sites (which also failed). 

I found the few times I looked at that bash site it was all about bashing WHMCS and elevating Blesta to the "end all be all", which it isn't.

Or comedy.... maybe... just maybe it's a laugh - I mean it raises valid points! 

But I think it was clearly made for comedic value! I don't think there is a big ol' secret meeting to subvert the masses through propaganda! 😛

I can't say I've read their articles though, I'll give them a whirl! Thanks for the heads up bear!