Sign in to follow this  
gei

Massive WHMCS price hike coming

"business unlimited  $ 1,299.95 / mo "

ūü§£ūü§£

If my business is at 100k+ customers level, it should be profitable enough to afford the developing of my own -customized to my needs- billing solution.  After all I don't need ALL the features/ plugins developed in WHMCS.

This is the reason why I paid to develop my own VOIP platform too.  Most of the SOFTSWITCH / VOIP solution providers  have a tiered license model based on # of extensions.  The most extensions in your platform, the most you have to pay them.   And yes, It was expensive in the short term, but it is an smart investment and PROFITABLE in the long term.   

At least that way I have the control of it, and not depending on a greedy arrogant company changing of mind time to time.

And don't get me wrong.   It's up to companies to make price revisions along the business existence.  It's normal and part of the business world.  But this kind of drastic increases, including the suppression of "owned" licenses (and not honoring the existing ones anymore) forcing them to pay monthly from now on , is something I don't see often from other responsible businesses that cares about the relationship with their customers.

Edited by perdtmdehwhp

3 minutes ago, perdtmdehwhp said:

If my business is at 100k+ customers level, it should be profitable enough to afford the developing of my own -customized to my needs- billing solution.

^^this, in a nutshell. That money could hire a few quite talented developers that could provide a usable solution in a reasonable time frame. Anyone making that money and staying with WHMCS for convenience is spending foolishly. 

That's what am saying! It's better to build an billing system from your own way.

Senseless to pay 1299$ monthly for an billing system. In this amount you can develop a simple system, in oru country India salary for a developer is less so that we can develop such systems in very less price. and also WHMCS Module developers can develop same billing system like WHMCS.

It's like I'm going to rent an server of 40 euro and the provider says pay 4000 euro monthly.

2 hours ago, bear said:

^^this, in a nutshell. That money could hire a few quite talented developers that could provide a usable solution in a reasonable time frame. Anyone making that money and staying with WHMCS for convenience is spending foolishly. 

Even if building something custom costs you more initially, it does pay out over time and as opposed to WHMCS it's an investment as it's yours.

WHMCS CEO seems to be very naive on this because:

1. Companies at those sizes, are very unlikely to use things like the MarketPlace and all WHMCS modules. They probably do not use most WHMCS features in the first place.

2. Why would they pay thousands a month for a software they cannot change or customize the code?

3. Even if it costs them $25,000 or $30,000 to develop something custom in house, the fact is that it will pay itself over time rather quickly. He mentioned 5 years, most people here use or used WHMCS for that or more. $1200 a month over the years is far more.

4. Initial development is high, but then it only requires minimum changes to keep up with bugs, patches and adding a new feature here and there.

5. WHMCS features are very, very old, most things are very poorly done, reason why some probably don't even use those features. Even $10,000 will get you something developed that is far better than WHMCS and it's yours.

WHMCS here thinks people use all modules which is not the case. I suspect most people only sell a few things and only use a few modules and main features.

6. You don't even need to code everything. You can just use OSTicket for support and integrate the database with your custom billing just to name one example. The same example can be used for many other parts... You don't have to code everything from scratch when there are solutions already for some things.

7. You would only create some parts like billing and automation that you use, not the whole WHMCS software which is far more complex because it tries to serve different type of customers and users.

WHMCS is clearly here trying to milk small companies and people, this is why they said most of their customers will not be affected as they are around 500 accounts which is probably true. But this also speaks very badly for WHMCS.

People already see hosts that use WHMCS as low quality and cheap, because bigger brands left. I actually read some people that said they would not order anything from a site using WHMCS before. Now they are just increasing that perception that WHMCS is used by poor companies as even middle-sized  brands are going to move away. They are trashing their own product with a move like that. Sure, script kiddies will not use WHMCS anymore because its more expensive but neither will be anyone serious about their business.

I have no idea what kind of market they plan to attract with this.

21 hours ago, yggdrasil said:

5. WHMCS features are very, very old, most things are very poorly done, reason why some probably don't even use those features. .....

WHMCS here thinks people use all modules which is not the case. I suspect most people only sell a few things and only use a few modules and main features.

7. You would only create some parts like billing and automation that you use, not the whole WHMCS software which is far more complex because it tries to serve different type of customers and users.

WHMCS is clearly here trying to milk small companies and people.....

People already see hosts that use WHMCS as low quality and cheap, because bigger brands left. I actually read some people that said they would not order anything from a site using WHMCS before. Now they are just increasing that perception that WHMCS is used by poor companies as even middle-sized  brands are going to move away. They are trashing their own product with a move like that. Sure, script kiddies will not use WHMCS anymore because its more expensive but neither will be anyone serious about their business.

100% correct.    I use just a few features and just one payment method (Stripe), not even PayPal.   

Also, when I got an issue a couple of months ago with just a SIMPLE invoice downloading they blamed my PHP/MySQL installation:   

And from the Support ticket (Response from Analyst):

"With cPanel, I can confirm this setting is just a checkbox you select under PHP Selector, as we have documentation on cPanel systems. Since you are not using a cPanel server then please consult with your system admin or hosting provider to change this setting for you. Should you need assistance finding a server administrator, you may wish to visit   http://go.cpanel.net/sysadmin   "

So, on top of increasing the price for "support", what confidence can I have for some real WHMCS issues down the road to be resolved without blaming my server ?  I mean (about the issue in the ticket above) my server installation have not changed its core nor PHP/MySQL drivers, however after WHMCS last updates, this OLD "resolved" issue came back apparently , and looks like it was easier to blame this time my Server deployment or suggest to pay  "cPanel university" certified sysadmin services (as in their response above)

I paid $99 last year for support renewal on my existing OWNED license, and I've opened just 1 ticket during the whole year,  but seems like that money paid was not enough to receive a proper support response, at least for an issue that clearly affects those servers not using Cpanel.  

Edited by perdtmdehwhp

1 hour ago, perdtmdehwhp said:

Since you are not using a cPanel server .....

....suggest to pay  "cPanel university" certified sysadmin services (as in their response above)

Interesting to recommend a Cpanel certified server admin after acknowledging you're not using a cpanel server. Always the best suggestions. 

i got one reseller today, he's using WHMCS cracked version.

He cracked himself and he said it's so easy. I think in some days most of the people will shift to cracked licenses or shift to other alternatives then WHMCS will say Cracked Licenses are not safe , they can access your server bla bla bla without thinking that most of the people know this many years ago. and they're the creator of these types of cracked licenses, if they do not increase price and keep the price suitable for every kind of person then no one purchases cracked licenses.

It's common, if you increase your software price too much then obviously people will start cracking it and selling it because they will think if this software price is 1000$ and we will sell it in even 10$ we can make 1000-2000$

1 hour ago, Piyush Mahes said:

i got one reseller today, he's using WHMCS cracked version.

He cracked himself and he said it's so easy. I think in some days most of the people will shift to cracked licenses or shift to other alternatives then WHMCS will say Cracked Licenses are not safe , they can access your server bla bla bla without thinking that most of the people know this many years ago. and they're the creator of these types of cracked licenses, if they do not increase price and keep the price suitable for every kind of person then no one purchases cracked licenses.

It's common, if you increase your software price too much then obviously people will start cracking it and selling it because they will think if this software price is 1000$ and we will sell it in even 10$ we can make 1000-2000$

Cracked or nulled licenses for WHMCS have existed forever. You have no idea what that software does in your server. This is the fastest way to get your server hacked and your customers database stolen. While pirated software, the people that crack the software might not have evil intentions, others certainly do and take those softwares and put their own backdoor and then make available all over the internet for people to download, regardless if it's a Windows Game, or a PHP script, you are now using software from an untrusted source and unless you checked every line of code its very likely it contains a virus or backdoor to your system.

Without mentioning that no serious business would use a pirated software for their billing system. Your brand will be destroyed on social media (its the internet, everyone knows everything) once someone points out you are using pirated software to run your business. I would never buy anything from a website that steals from others, people using illegal WHMCS licenses are mostly scammers themselves. That is not even an option to discuss here as most of us have paid and own legal licenses.

Edited by yggdrasil

5 minutes ago, yggdrasil said:

I wish them good luck with that, the word is already out in social networks and other forums they don't control which means even if they try to hide some negative feedback here, a simple Google search will give you tons of results not precisely positive for them.

The daft thing is, we've had a lot more offers of unencrypted or nulled versions (we wouldn't use them - nor would we encourage) 

I don't imagine them being hard to resist to many users! Especially now! We were having a conversation with a guy who does it as a part time job (mainly hosts his Web design jobs) he has said he cannot afford it and similar to myself does not wish to do 'a WHMCS' to his loyal customers  so I had to suggest he uses other software before an unlicensed one!

As he is a (real life) friend, who lost his main job during this awful global situation, I lent him the money for an owned ble$ta licence and he's now trying to migrate and earn a bit extra to feed his family. 

The reason I keep harping on about it, is the point is entirely missed that this absolutely affects many people in huge ways. 

But, the WHMCS team will absolutely just ignore this, maybe offer 25% off for 3 months and laugh all the way to the bank! Meanwhile, regular people don't always have a spare $500 a month extra to just start paying with 3 months notice. I am absolutely fortunate in the sense I could... but I won't. I refuse to fund companies that treat people with such disdain 

41 minutes ago, chrisb2012 said:

The daft thing is, we've had a lot more offers of unencrypted or nulled versions (we wouldn't use them - nor would we encourage) 

I don't imagine them being hard to resist to many users! Especially now! We were having a conversation with a guy who does it as a part time job (mainly hosts his Web design jobs) he has said he cannot afford it and similar to myself does not wish to do 'a WHMCS' to his loyal customers  so I had to suggest he uses other software before an unlicensed one!

As he is a (real life) friend, who lost his main job during this awful global situation, I lent him the money for an owned ble$ta licence and he's now trying to migrate and earn a bit extra to feed his family. 

The reason I keep harping on about it, is the point is entirely missed that this absolutely affects many people in huge ways. 

But, the WHMCS team will absolutely just ignore this, maybe offer 25% off for 3 months and laugh all the way to the bank! Meanwhile, regular people don't always have a spare $500 a month extra to just start paying with 3 months notice. I am absolutely fortunate in the sense I could... but I won't. I refuse to fund companies that treat people with such disdain 

Even if you could afford it, why would you? Price increases usually go by the hand with increased value in return. WHMCS is not giving you more for more money. They are giving you less for more money which is a bad deal. WHMCS 7 was bad, 8 is a disaster, they are still fixing bugs months later after the first release, most people did not even upgrade. WHMCS wants more money for a more locked down and buggy software. People like me and others here only decided to support it because the price was right, it was a priced like a cheap script because that is what it was. Now WHMCS wants to price it as some enterprise software except its still a cheap software in the inside.

1 hour ago, chrisb2012 said:

Well, once webpros ruin the customer base - they won't look out of place on envato lol

They own several registrars and web hosts. Maybe that is their idea, kill some competition. It's not a coincidence they also purchased cPanel and Plesk, and they also increased pricing on those products. A very strange coincidence indeed...

Edited by yggdrasil

Maybe - we shall never really know - after all my services are migrated away... I won't care either! 

Loads of devs are moving to other platforms - which means whmcs won't get the same amount of attention! Those that do the job of support staff here for free will probably leave and I do think the disproportionate market share will even out! 

I will say, I'm never using encoded (or hiding their errors) types of software again! It's just dangerous for so many reasons. 

The more I think about it, the more I realise we could all be breaching gdpr without realising it - we don't have a clue what data whmcs collects and we won't know either until its too late! As they actively refuse to tell us when asked - I worry its something sinister 

Hi all,

This thread appears to have reached it's natural conclusion and is drifting away from the original topic of the price changes.

As a result I've tidied up the off-topic posts and will now close this thread.

Thanks ūüôā