dh42

Just got the email - going from $45 a month to $850 a month - What are you all migrating to?

31 minutes ago, lbeachmike said:

Absolutely.  Per my previous point, you'll see a lot of small businesses get squeezed into consolidation.  This would initially hurt them, but they've tried to insure for themselves that it won't matter since they can migrate to the model you speak of and collect no matter where those customers go.  Unless those customers are being billed by Blesta.

That is their marketing plan failure right there. Some years back, people actually searched cPanel hosting and wanted cPanel. They only wanted to order hosting based or that came with cPanel. Some maybe Plesk. It sold on its own. It was cheap per server and gave you tons of value in return.

But with so many cloud companies that have their custom control panels and other solutions to launch websites and applications, people do not care in 2021.

Seriously. Who here gets sales email from people looking for a cPanel hosting?

People don't care what control panel you are using or what billing software you use. We care because we use it to work all day, but your customers only log in for support and billing and maybe check one thing here and there, and off they are. All they need is something simple that works.

17 hours ago, yggdrasil said:

People don't care what control panel you are using or what billing software you use. We care because we use it to work all day, but your customers only log in for support and billing and maybe check one thing here and there, and off they are. All they need is something simple that works.

The customer doesn't care, but the small business owner cares - because of reliance on such products to simplify billing and server management.  Of course there will always be alternative solutions that will happily take over once the existing solutions of choice run themselves into the ground by greed.

We can see this on a macro level with many very big brand name companies that used to be relevant have become irrelevant.  Nobody is safe from such fate.  WHMCS simply has accelerated their own disruption.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, lbeachmike said:

The customer doesn't care, but the small business owner cares - because of reliance on such products to simplify billing and server management.  Of course there will always be alternative solutions that will happily take over once the existing solutions of choice run themselves into the ground by greed.

We can see this on a macro level with many very big brand name companies that used to be relevant have become irrelevant.  Nobody is safe from such fate.  WHMCS simply has accelerated their own disruption.

I'm not sure if this is related to greed, but mismanagement and bad planning. I'm afraid WHMCS hired too many people in sales and marketing instead of development. They grew to a certain point that they need a fixed amount of income to keep up. Instead of under sizing in a pandemic to cut costs, they just raised pricing.

When they keep mentioning they will improve support and things like that, I figured out their costs have increased but not their income.

Edited by yggdrasil

27 minutes ago, lbeachmike said:

Their support will most definitely improve when they have half as many customers to support 🙂

No, I don't believe that it will.  The problem there is not the volume of support requests they have to field, it's an attitude problem which comes from the top.  Starting with their self-styled caped crusader "Head of Support".  The fish rots from the head.

5 minutes ago, malfunction said:

it's an attitude problem which comes from the top.  Starting with their self-styled caped crusader "Head of Support".  The fish rots from the head.

I've experienced this first hand.  And in fact it almost appears as if they are generating user need for support instead of thwarting that need.  For example, there are errors in the documentation which cause you to encounter problems for which you would then typically need to reach out for help with.  Simply correction of the erroneous documentation would eliminate that need.  But then there goes those support fees. 

2 hours ago, yggdrasil said:

I'm afraid WHMCS hired too many people in sales and marketing instead of development. They grew to a certain point that they need a fixed amount of income to keep up. Instead of under sizing in a pandemic to cut costs, they just raised pricing.

When they keep mentioning they will improve support and things like that, I figured out their costs have increased but not their income.

Interesting. Though not due to a pandemic, Kayako did that very thing, when they reduced existing support "contracts" by half. '
Kept hiring sales people and building sales centers, all the while telling us they were fixing support and putting money into developers. Blatant lies, it was eventually discovered. 

29 minutes ago, bear said:

Interesting. Though not due to a pandemic, Kayako did that very thing, when they reduced existing support "contracts" by half. '
Kept hiring sales people and building sales centers, all the while telling us they were fixing support and putting money into developers. Blatant lies, it was eventually discovered. 

I'm sure they invested in sales and marketing. Even the blog has now nice articles, the docs are better, the website looks great. Development? Clearly not, based on the amount of bugs, and half baked features.