icon-users.pngUsers and Client Accounts
Users are the new way to log in and share access to accounts

In WHMCS 8.0, we've introduced a new concept for end user login management. Account holders gain more control, while Users with access to multiple accounts gain flexibility and convenience.

Replacing sub-accounts, in WHMCS 8.0, Users represent any individual with access to log in to the WHMCS client area. Users can be invited and managed via a new dedicated User Management interface, with permission based controls and a simple email-based invite workflow.

As a user who needs to access and manage services within multiple different client accounts, WHMCS 8.0 makes it easy and convenient to access and manage services for multiple client accounts with a single login.

On upgrade to WHMCS 8.0, no action is necessary to maintain the current configuration. (You must perform several steps when you choose to connect users and accounts.) Contacts will remain associated with each account. Sub-Accounts will become user accounts that can access their associated account. The primary client account will also become a user.

Our team have created two new help documents to help you understand this new feature information on Users And Accounts can be found here and steps on Adding and Managing Users can be found here.

User and Client Accounts is an important aspect of our testing and we welcome all feedback on this new exciting enhancement to WHMCS! 

Hi testers,

We have published a series of blog posts describing this key new feature. Please give them a read to understand more about this feature:

This is the major new feature in v8.0 so we are keen to hear your feedback and experience with users and accounts. Please share it here!

Posted (edited)

I'm not participating in the beta at this time because of my workplace's current usage of WHMCS, but just had a question about this new concept. I'm happy to hear that users will be able to access multiple accounts using only one email address, but will each account still need to have a unique email associated with it?  We're in the process of moving our clients into WHMCS and had identified issues with certain people who used the same email on multiple accounts in our old system, and I'm hoping that the v8 changes will allow us to migrate those clients more smoothly without having to create extra email addresses for them...

Edited by steph.hope

Hi @steph.hope,

As of today (beta-3) Account email addresses do still need to be unique. Users must be unique. Contacts are not required to be unique.

You raise an interesting point and is something we're also discussing internally. Historically, Clients (now Accounts) have always been unique, so a multitude of systems which connect to WHMCS could be based on the assumption that Accounts will always be unique. Therefore a change to that basic assumption might have wide-ranging consequences.

This new feature does ostensibly decouple ownership and authentication, so could potentially present an opportunity to lift the unique email requirement for Accounts - if done right.

Thanks for sharing your feedback on this, we'd be very interested to hear from other users on the same topic.

Hi,

Thanks for adding the option to seperate users and accounts. I think this is a good first step needed in order to improve WHMCS and make it more suitable for accounts that belongs to corporates / companies instead of individuals.

Please continue the separation between users and account in a way that the account will be only a shell that holds several users / services in one place (i.e. the account is the company that the users are working at).

In general this is the things that are not handled by the current way it's working in WHMCS - even after version 8:

1. When a user log in to the account - he see all the tickets from all the other employees of the company / all the other users connected to this account. There should be a way to show each user only his tickets and allow the account owner to see tickets from all the users connected to this account.

2. Information management - The same as above, user should be able to change only his information and not to see or be able to change other contacts / users information. the account owner is the only one that can see and edit everyone.

Regards,
Ram

URL

Hi @ramf,

Thanks for taking part in the v8.0 pre-release testing. I'm glad to hear you have found the features and workflows we've implemented useful.

I appreciate the use-case you desire for WHMCS, however at present we do not have plans on our roadmap to provide this level of abstraction. We believe the level of functionality delivered in v8.0 is a good balance between flexibility and functionality that meets the needs of the majority of our users.  That said, should a feature request to implement these two points gain the same levels of high demand in future, it's something that could potentially be considered.

We're very interested to hear everyone's experience with the new functionality we have deployed in v8.0; for example:

• Is the concept of accounts and users easy for your clients to understand?
  • Is the process of inviting a user intuitive?
  • Is there anything about the the invitation process which could be improved?

Please do let us know!

Hi @WHMCS John,

I've been thinking about this again, and wanted to check my assumption that any emails sent out by the system will be to Users who are connected to that account, rather than to the Account email address. So the Account address will basically just be there for historical reasons, and won't actually receive mail?

I'm trying to figure out if we'll be able to use a unique placeholder email on the Accounts for those clients who have multiple, or if that will cause problems with emails being sent into the void.

Posted (edited)

Hi @steph.hope
Please take a look here - there is a long discussion about users and account (maybe that thread should be merged with this one) - in a nutshell, we think that users should be merged with contacts and if it will be done it will work as you stated.

7 hours ago, steph.hope said:

any emails sent out by the system will be to Users who are connected to that account

No.  Sadly now the emails are working with account and contact level only - users are just used to log in to WHMCS customer area. 
You still need to manage a seperate list of contacts  and manage the relevant email notification setting per contact person as well as the main account holder. 

7 hours ago, steph.hope said:

. So the Account address will basically just be there for historical reasons

The account address is the main account holder address - you can also defined one user as the main account holder (owner) - if you set the relevant email notification on the contact level, you can remove any email notification from the account level (Please note that you'll have to set one contact to get the domain notification in order to remove it from the account level).

I think as you - there should not be any email address on the account level, it should all be via the merged roll of users and contacts - see my post above.

Regards,
Ram

Edited by ramf

I'm setting up WHMCS for my company for the first time. I started with the 8 Beta 2, cause it will take me some time to get everything ready, and the public 8 should be out by the time i need it..

I agree that having users to manage accounts its powerfull, but confusing for customers.

First, when customer registers, he/she is asked for a First name, Last Name, email and password. Once inside the client panel, this information is SPLIT. In one hand you have the "Account details" where the user can modify the First name, last name and email address, and on the other hand, in the "Your profile" page, they can change First name, Last name and Email Address, and in both pages they can be different. That's ok, but I think in registration page user should be alerted that one thing is the Customer or propietary entity, and other thing is the user administrating the services.

The system has unique email addresses for users, but allows same addresses for customers. When they register, it doesn't say that email address belongs to the user.

It's hard to understand that the information in my account is the client (billable part) that will receive emails. That the user email address will not receive emails unless it's the same as the customer email address or it's added as a contact.
In my case, it happens that designers buy services for their customers and place their email address with the customer name. I think that would make a mess with permissions, owners, designers, comunications, if it's not explained during registration.

User managment and contacts should be related, to simplify user experience and improve security

• users can receive emails
  • contacts (like accounting department) can login to pay bills
  • it's important to know who the user really is, if he will have permissions to ask for support, cancel a service... etc. Not only for admins, but for the customer.
  • in contacts it would be nice to have a Text Field where the client can describe the role (designer, tech support, accounting)

I think this will result in a lot of support tickets.

(Sorry for my english, I hope you understand what I mean)

On 9/14/2020 at 6:44 PM, mairav said:

User managment and contacts should be related, to simplify user experience and improve security

Totally agree - I think that contacts and users should be merged to one entity.

On 9/14/2020 at 9:44 PM, mairav said:

First, when customer registers, he/she is asked for a First name, Last Name, email and password. Once inside the client panel, this information is SPLIT. In one hand you have the "Account details" where the user can modify the First name, last name and email address, and on the other hand, in the "Your profile" page, they can change First name, Last name and Email Address, and in both pages they can be different.

I guess I am late to the party. I haven't yet tried v8, but will soon give it a go.

If this is the case, that is, the company account and the first / primary user account can have different email accounts, that could be a bit confusing for average users.

Am average user could change the email address in their user profile and never realise that they need to change the email address in account profile, too.

Would it be possible to make it mandatory to have the same email address on account profile and the first user / primary profile?

Edited by Mechanic