Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gei

MASSIVE cPanel price increases

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, DennisHermannsen said:

The thread about the price change on cPanels forums has a long discussion about this. I also came across posts on WHT.

I followed all the huge thread on WHT ( https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1770316&page=110&p=10184953#post10184953 , 111 pages right now, thousands of comments...)
Someone say 100, someone 200, someone 300... and others has even 1000, and works fine.
There's no a single, "right" answer: it depends, it's realted to the kind of service you're provisioning, and to the kind of server you're managing.
I know a server this something like 5000 accounts: it's used just for redirecting services as free add-on on domain registering. It works great, it's not such a great configuration, it's stable, it's ceap (and it's required to be cheap, being a service which is provided as free ad-on on a domain registration service which, on its own, has a yearly cost of 7-12 €.
With cpanel, this machine should cost 45 + 0.2x4900= 1025 USD monthly .... just for a redirect service?!?!?!?!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DennisHermannsen said:

The thread about the price change on cPanels forums has a long discussion about this. I also came across posts on WHT.

Then you are aware that one such user got banned on WHT. Their assumptions are targetted and flawed on the face. No web hosting provider is going to put only 200 accounts on a server without charging a hefty price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Remitur said:

Sorry, my fault: it's 45, not 75 (just edited my post too)

The total is still wrong. It would be $125, not $155. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Remitur said:

With cpanel, this machine should cost 45 + 0.2x4900= 1025 USD monthly .... just for a redirect service?!?!?!?!  

Maybe you should hire better technicians, you don't need cPanel for a redirect service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Remitur said:

Someone say 100, someone 200, someone 300... and others has even 1000, and works fine.

I might not have been clear. It was in regards to opting for the VPS license for cPanel and then fill that VPS with thousands of customers. In my opinion, VPS licenses should always have had a limit to the number of active accounts.

12 minutes ago, Remitur said:

it's used just for redirecting services as free add-on on domain registering.

... and most importantly, it can be done without cPanel. I can understand why it made sense to use cPanel to this before as you already had a license, but it's really not just what cPanel was made for.

1 minute ago, Mechanic said:

No web hosting provider is going to put only 200 accounts on a server without charging a hefty price. 

Oh, I guess we must not exist then 🙄 We've had the same prices since 2011. We're a rather small company with a couple of thousand clients. We spent 30 minutes discussing whether a price change was necessary, and it wasn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MikeP said:

Maybe you should hire better technicians, you don't need cPanel for a redirect service.

It was not a server of mine. It was done so just to give an easy and friendly interface to users, and to manage the service by means of API.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 12:05 AM, WHMCS ChrisD said:

In terms of using third party licensing providers such as BuycPanel, there is nothing stopping you from continuing to use the providers, in fact BuycPanel already provide their own WHMCS Module

https://billing.buycpanel.com/bill1/announcements.php?id=57

Quote

After careful consideration by our management team, we have accepted an offer to be acquired by cPanel

No longer third party, but instead owned by Cpanel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DennisHermannsen said:

I might not have been clear. It was in regards to opting for the VPS license for cPanel and then fill that VPS with thousands of customers. In my opinion, VPS licenses should always have had a limit to the number of active accounts.

Nowadays, there's no difference for cpanel from VPS to metal (jut, if you're on metal, you're forced to buy the highr licence, even if you have just a couple of domains on it...)
And there's no great difference from metal to VPS: I've seen many users migrating successfully from metal to huge VPS on vsphere (16 to 32 GB of RAM), and being happy because they got a more reliable service... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite simply put, anyone complaining about cPanel's price increase are likely providing a less than honest service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

@Remitur my point was that providers abused it. The VPS license was supposed to be for smaller servers. Metal licenses was supposed to be for bare metal servers.

When you instead create a single VPS on your metal server, you're trying to get around the license cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MikeP said:

Quite simply put, anyone complaining about cPanel's price increase are likely providing a less than honest service.

I do not agree.
The question is: is cPanel value worthwhile to its price?
Being other instruments (Plesk, Directadmin, etc.) which at least do the same and are cheaper, the answer is "not".

Beside that: my feeling is that cpanel is slowing its developing efforts, and that in a short time just "security" patches will be released. It's yet a number of months that no really new feature are implemented...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MikeP said:

Quite simply put, anyone complaining about cPanel's price increase are likely providing a less than honest service.

Nonsense. 
We're complaining, because of how it was implemented, not that they don't deserve to increase pricing over time. I would not have objected to reasonable tiers, even, but 100 along with a price increase **AND** cost per account over 100? That's greedy. Something like 250 is xx, 500 is xxx, and so on would have been more acceptable. Sure we'd have griped, but to change to per account and justify it by saying "servers are more powerful so folks are stuffing them" is absurd. It doesn't affect how Cpanel works in the least, and causes no additional cost or burden to Cpanel.

Fair would have been nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You wouldn't agree as you're complaining about a server cost of over $1,000 for a redirect service.

Plesk is full of bugs

Direct Admin is crap

cPanel has the market share and I'm happy with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bear said:

Nonsense. 
We're complaining, because of how it was implemented, not that they don't deserve to increase pricing over time. I would not have objected to reasonable tiers, even, but 100 along with a price increase **AND** cost per account over 100? That's greedy. Something like 250 is xx, 500 is xxx, and so on would have been more acceptable. Sure we'd have griped, but to change to per account and justify it by saying "servers are more powerful so folks are stuffing them" is absurd. It doesn't affect how Cpanel works in the least, and causes no additional cost or burden to Cpanel.

Fair would have been nice. 

It's not nonsense, how they did it is stupid, I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DennisHermannsen said:

 

@Remitur my point was that providers abused it. The VPS license was supposed to be for smaller servers. Metal licenses was supposed to be for bare metal servers.

When you instead create a single VPS on your metal server, you're trying to get around the license cost.

I remember that, many years ago, we did so (one metal, one vps) not cause of licencing fees (which were not: we were not using cpanel...) but to get an easy migration on different metal when we need it (it was always a pain in the ass doing a restore on a different hardware).
But I don't think that this was the reason of cpanel prce increasing: technology went on, and IMHO nowaday the rule is using VPS, and using metal just to realize virtualization cluster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Remitur said:

The question is: is cPanel value worthwhile to its price?

It is. There's one group of people that I've noticed complaining about the price increase the most - new, smaller webhosts who offer webhosting for almost nothing (some of them less than a dollar). If your prices are that low, I see why it's upsetting to you, but you basically played yourself by trying to enter the market with such low prices instead of gaining an honest reputation as a webhost that are simply better than the rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DennisHermannsen said:

It is. There's one group of people that I've noticed complaining about the price increase the most - new, smaller webhosts who offer webhosting for almost nothing (some of them less than a dollar). If your prices are that low, I see why it's upsetting to you, but you basically played yourself by trying to enter the market with such low prices instead of gaining an honest reputation as a webhost that are simply better than the rest.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Remitur said:

I remember that, many years ago, we did so (one metal, one vps) not cause of licencing fees

But other providers did do it. I've heard rumors saying that GoDaddy abused this like hell, but I obviously has no way to prove it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MikeP said:

Plesk is full of bugs

Direct Admin is crap

cPanel has the market share and I'm happy with it.

cPanel has no more the market share (in USA): market leader is Plesk...

In my experience: three quite different products, with three different philosophies.

We used largely DirectAdmin yeras ago: it was good, and stable. We moved on cpanel just cause of interface: cpanel interface was better, the users liked it, the user wanted it... and so we gave to the users what they were asking.
In the meanwhile, we kept some DirectAdmin servers: good, stable, robust. And still bad interface.
Now Directadmin has a new interface, which is better that cpanel's one: so, I simply see no reasons toremain on cpanel...

Why are you sayng that DA "is crap"? Experience, or are you referring to the old-time interface, or ... ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to know where you find Plesk as being the market leader in the US?  I know it has a high footprint in Europe but cPanel is still the overal leader.

I've been in and around DA for a little over 15 years and it's never been good, nothing is easy with it and the new theme hasn't improved anything IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MikeP said:

I'd like to know where you find Plesk as being the market leader in the US?  I know it has a high footprint in Europe but cPanel is still the overal leader.

Even I was sure being so, but it seems it's not so, and in last months (looking around the thread about cPanel's price increase) I found evidences that it's quite different...

I.e., amongst Alexa top 100K,  1009 domains use Plesk, and 469 cPanel: https://www.datanyze.com/market-share/hosting-control-panels/Alexa top 100K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Remitur said:

I.e., amongst Alexa top 100K,  1009 domains use Plesk, and 469 cPanel: https://www.datanyze.com/market-share/hosting-control-panels/Alexa top 100K

You can't really extract anything from that, only that the top 100.000 websites on Alexa has that share. Taking top 100 shows way different numbers.

Edit: Also, how to they gather information about what control panel a domain is using in the first way?

Edited by DennisHermannsen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DennisHermannsen said:

You can't really extract anything from that, only that the top 100.000 websites on Alexa has that share. Taking top 100 shows way different numbers.

Edit: Also, how to they gather information about what control panel a domain is using in the first way?

100 domains is a too small number to do any stat. And, of the top 100 Alexa the majority doen not use any control panel (neither needs it: each one of those sites has often its own IT staff...)
About "how to understand what a site is using as..." there're a number of scan tecniques. About control panels, the easy (and reliable) way is trying to scan and parse the usual administrative port (i.e.  2222 for DirectAdmin , 2083 for cpanel etc)
This does not work if the port is protected by VPN or firewall, or moved on a different IP... and this is another reason why it make not sense to do it on the Alexa 100 (all of them will be widely protected, I guess...)

Have any different idea about understand what's the market share of cpanel and plesk?

According to their own:

cpanel 70 millions of domains ( https://cpanel.net/company/ )

plesk 384000 servers, 11 millions of websites  ( https://www.plesk.com/about-us/ )

Hard to compare data, of course (and they're no granted to be true...)

Any other data?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MikeP said:

It's not nonsense,

Of course it is. You stated anyone complaining was dishonest.

Quote

anyone complaining about cPanel's price increase are likely providing a less than honest service

I'm not dishonest and run an honest service. The "per account" increase is ludicrous, and claiming dishonesty on the victim's part is as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines and understand your posts will initially be pre-moderated