MASSIVE cPanel price increases

gei

5 minutes ago, bear said:

That is also inaccurate, I'm afraid. It shows a bit less than half the total accounts on that same server. 
The main issue is it shows the reseller's account, but not the ones under it. That info is only within the Cpanel accounting at this point.

Weird. It actually shows more accounts than we have on the server. Maybe it's bugged? I recall that it used to show the exact amount of accounts (reseller's included).

3 hours ago, DennisMidjord said:

Utilities -> Domain Resolver. This shows the total accounts on any server. It's not the best way to get the total number of accounts, but it's pretty simple.

Nope.
In cPanel, it may happen that a single domain is managed by 100 different accounts:
And it may happen that a single account manages 100 different domains.
There's no real relation between domains and account (even if usually 1 domain = 1 account)

The only way to know, right now, the exact number of account existing on a cPanel server:

• login to WHM
  •  "Account information" => "list accounts"
  • look for "showing 30 of X records"

That "x" is the number of accounts on your server.
AFAIK no way, right now, to get this number from WHMCS.

3 hours ago, MikeP said:

At the time of writing I completely forgot about “resold” accounts. Let’s just hope something is released by WHMCS to assist with this.

FYI cPanel and WHMCS are now owned by the same company, so you can be sure that WHMCS will be coming out with something to count accounts. Oakley Capital will ensure of that 😉

3 hours ago, MikeP said:

At the time of writing I completely forgot about “resold” accounts. Let’s just hope something is released by WHMCS to assist with this.

Edited by gei

35 minutes ago, gei said:

FYI cPanel and WHMCS are now owned by the same company, so you can be sure that WHMCS will be coming out with something to count accounts. Oakley Capital will ensure of that 😉

I wouldn't be surprised if it came with a price tag, like the licensing manager and project manager.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, sahostking said:

Any feedback on a way to count the accounts yet. Time is running out 😀

No way to do it by mean of WHMCS yet.
It seems that, if you buy cPanel license from a partner, if you manage it using WHMCS you can have access to old price until new release of WHMCS which will allow to do it... but it's a sort of buzz (one of many about new cPanel policy).

By now, refer to these guides:
https://forums.cpanel.net/resources/how-to-identify-abandoned-cpanel-accounts.627/
https://forums.cpanel.net/resources/faq-how-can-i-find-cpanel-accounts-on-my-server-that-are-not-integrated-with-whmcs.631/

IMHO, the best fix is: run away from cPanel, and do it ASAP... 😕

3 hours ago, Remitur said:

It seems that, if you buy cPanel license from a partner, if you manage it using WHMCS you can have access to old price until new release of WHMCS which will allow to do it... but it's a sort of buzz (one of many about new cPanel policy).

Not sure about this one, really. I can recall this is only valid IF YOU ARE THE PARTNER. Indirectly purchasing from resellers or partners like buycpanel are not subject to this policy as they cannot validate which of their clients are using WHMCS or not.

In the same line of issues, Buycpanel provides a downloadable xls file where you can easily see the number of accounts and the price under the two possible price tiers (fixed/flex) for you to reorganize your servers. By doing such a reorganization I managed to reduce the price increase from 750% to just 120%. So, those having several servers and not wishing to abandone cPanel, just have to take a seat, prepare some coffee and do some math, and it's likely you can save some bucks too.

Also, this is a very cool plugin I use to install in my WHM servers to help me identify abandoned accounts by checking where are their DNS entries resolving to. Hope it helps:

cd /home; wget http://download.ndchost.com/accountdnscheck/latest-accountdnscheck; sh latest-accountdnscheck 

Anyway, we need WHMCS to rapidly release the update that allow us to...

• add field to specify max # of total accounts in each cPanel server, allowing to differentiate between # of accounts and # of customers.
  • add columns in the list of Servers, showing # of accounts and # of customers.
  • allow to specify type of cPanel license in use in every server.
  • add fields to enter hardware cost and software costs for each server. Then, allow to obtain reports where you can know your total hardware and software costs.
  • any other suggestions?

Edited by MarceloPe

18 hours ago, MarceloPe said:

Not sure about this one, really. I can recall this is only valid IF YOU ARE THE PARTNER. Indirectly purchasing from resellers or partners like buycpanel are not subject to this policy as they cannot validate which of their clients are using WHMCS or not.

Lot of confusion about this...
The answer is "maybe..." 😕

cPanel wrote on its own blog:

https://blog.cpanel.com/update-to-account-based-pricing/

WHMCS Automates Billing for New Licensing Model

If you are an existing WHMCS customer, we will only make the new cPanel & WHM hosting pricing model effective once the new WHMCS functionality is available to support the new pricing model. You will continue to be charged at the current pricing rate until 30 days after the release of this new functionality.

If you are not yet a WHMCS customer, and the billing functionality would help your business implement the new cPanel & WHM hosting pricing model, we are providing up to 12 months of no cost WHMCS licensing to our Partners. Please contact your Account Manager for details.

So it seems it works only if you're a direct cPanel customer.

But I was able to get a yearly renew of an expiring cpanel license from buycpanel (so, paying the old price, and with unlimited accounts)  just mentioning this post and that I was managing it using WHMCS.

I guess that Oakley's guys did a mess, improvising a commercial policy without being ready to support it, and without realizing the implications not only commercial, but also technical of doing so ...

Hi Everyone,

We are pleased to announce the public release of the cPanel Licensing Automation Module for WHMCS.  This free module provides an automated solution for cPanel Partners to provision, manage and bill for cPanel & WHM licenses. 

In addition to simplifying the process of selling cPanel licenses under the new cPanel licensing structure, this new module for WHMCS also offers cPanel Partners a quicker, easier and more convenient way to manage their cPanel licenses directly from the WHMCS admin area. 

@Matt has posted a blog about the new addon at https://blog.whmcs.com/133564/announcing-the-launch-of-the-whmcs-cpanel-license-automation-module

For further information and to download the module, visit https://marketplace.whmcs.com/product/4993 

The Getting Started Guide is located at https://docs.whmcs.com/WHMCS_cPanel_Licensing_Module_Getting_Started_Guide and the documentation can be found at https://docs.whmcs.com/WHMCS_cPanel_Licensing_Module

The new module is compatible with WHMCS v7.6.x, v7.7.x & v7.8.x

Please give it a spin and let us know your thoughts!

Nice. Ok. But wait... this is only for cPanel Partners?

• What about the small businesses still not able to apply for partnership?
  • Do you plan to release any updates or will this module still work for us?
  • Will it count the number of accounts as we all need?
  • Will this work for current servers even if you don't have intentions of selling cPanel licenses?
  • Or does this simply confirm that cPanel want us to be partners and avoid using intermediary services like buycpanel?

Replies to these questions are long welcomed and awaited.

Thanks

Hi @MarceloPe

Thanks for your post and questions.  In regards to the module we have released today, this module is intended for use by cPanel Partners.  Whilst I am not privy to the roadmap for updates at this stage I will flag this internally

In terms of using third party licensing providers such as BuycPanel, there is nothing stopping you from continuing to use the providers, in fact BuycPanel already provide their own WHMCS Module https://www.buycpanel.com/buycpanel-whmcs-provisioning-module/ and have already indicated on their website which they have indicated that they will be updating to support the new model "Updated BuycPanel WHMCS module allowing you to resell fixed or flexible cPanel® plans, including automated upgrade/downgrade functionality."

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @MarceloPe,

The cPanel Licensing module is intended for those reselling cPanel licenses, purchased directly via cPanel's partner program, to their customers alongside a VPS or dedicated server for example. It will automate the provisioning and billing of your client automatically for the license aspect of their service.

At present only cPanel partners have access to the cPanel licensing API, so non-partners could not use an external system like this to manage licenses. If that changes in future on cPanel's side, then you may be able to use this module for its intended purpose. There may be other cPanel licence vendors who could better meet your business needs at present.

I think your earlier requests may refer more to managing shared hosting though. In WHMCS v7.8 we are updating the server details page to report more data for cPanel servers using the newly available cPanel APIs, with the intention of making it easier to monitor your usage:

20190823-0935.png

It has been possible for a number of years to load-balance the number of accounts across your server fleet via the "Maximum No. of Accounts" setting, the new "Licence Max # of Accounts" statistic should make setting this value easier. This is a soft limit.

If you haven't tested the 7.8 Release Candidate yet, please do: https://preview.whmcs.com and let us know your thoughts: https://whmcs.community/forum/471-v78-beta-discussion/

Shared reseller accounts have always had the option to be limited by the number of accounts. The "Limit Reseller by Number" option is located under Setup > Products/Services > Products/Services > Edit > Module Settings tab > Advanced Mode .

This lets you configure a range of products with an account limit. Clients could then upgrade/downgrade between these products in a self-service manner via the WHMCS client area when they want to change their account limit.

The related documentation is here: https://docs.whmcs.com/CPanel/WHM#Advanced_Mode

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

• 1 month later...

So it is true. No please cPanel. The ramification of you changing the prices are huge. We need to change everything around you and that's not a good practice. A big no . Such an increase over no value increase is absurd.

There is zero benefit for us and 5 accounts cost now more than the previous VPS license with Apps4Rent as i`m a old Cpanel and Whmcs reseller.

I fell out of my chair with such announcement.

Regards,

Adrian

12 hours ago, AdrianG001 said:

Such an increase over no value increase is absurd.

Really? No added value? cPanel has made no changes for years? So, I guess you're the only one who didn't see a redesign of both WHM/cPanel, you still don't have automated SSL-certificates, you have no option for per-domain PHP version and PHP settings?

cPanel has had the same prices for years while keeping their product updated with multiple new features every year.

If you can't afford to a price change of ~0.25 USD per client, you should be re-evaluating your business-model instead of complaining here.

6 hours ago, DennisHermannsen said:

Really? No added value? cPanel has made no changes for years?

This argument has been largely debated elsewhere (webhostingtalk community).

And everyone agree that is true: cpanel development has been much slower than, i.e., Plesk.

So what is going to happen? Oakley is going to slowly stop cpanel dev, spare money, and trying to move his own customers on Plesk. And in the meanwhile getting as money as possible from this zombie product.

Cpanel is on a dead way: leave it ASAP.

Just my 2 cents... 😉

1 hour ago, Remitur said:

And everyone agree that is true: cpanel development has been much slower than, i.e., Plesk. 

And that has nothing to do with anything.

The price of Plesk was more expensive before cPanel updated their prices - now they're practically the same. It has been suggested everywhere that Plesk will also see an increase in prices. However, comparing the price of the specific software doesn't get us far. Right now, DirectAdmin is more expensive than Plesk. ISPConfig is free.

cPanel is by far the most popular control panel, and I doubt that will change anytime soon.

3 hours ago, DennisHermannsen said:

The price of Plesk was more expensive before cPanel updated their prices - now they're practically the same. It has been suggested everywhere that Plesk will also see an increase in prices. However, comparing the price of the specific software doesn't get us far. Right now, DirectAdmin is more expensive than Plesk. ISPConfig is free.

Monthly fees:
DirectAdmin unlimited:     29 USD 
Plesk unlimited:                  41,25 USD
cPanel unlimited: does not exist... assume 500 users, it's  45 + 0.20x400 = 125 USD

But even if you account just only 100 user per server, the rusulting prices are 29 (Directadmin) 41.25 (Plesk) 45 (cPanel)

So, you're two times wrong:

• it's not true that "DirectAdmin is more expensive than plesk"
  • it's not true that Plesk and cPanel "are pratically the same [price]"
Edited by Remitur

1 minute ago, Remitur said:

So, you're two times wrong:

The keyword is "right now" as I said. Plesk costs $20.63 per month right now.
And yes, they are practically the same price. The entire problem is that people booted up a virtual server on their own hardware, gave it all the cores and all the RAM available, bought the VPS license for 20$ per month and hosted 10.000 clients from the same server.
It has been discussed multiple times, and most people say that hosting more than 200 customers on the same server is just plain stupid.

2 minutes ago, Remitur said:

cPanel unlimited: does not exist... assume 500 users, it's  75 + 0.20x400 = 155 USD 

Where do you get 75USD from?

2 minutes ago, DennisHermannsen said:

The keyword is "right now" as I said. Plesk costs $20.63 per month right now.

20.63 is the price just for first three months: the later fee is 41.25

Where do you get 75USD from?

Sorry, my fault: it's 45, not 75 (just edited my post too)

3 hours ago, DennisHermannsen said:

cPanel is by far the most popular control panel, and I doubt that will change anytime soon.

Helm and HSPHere once ruled the web hosting control panel industry. They have fallen and cPanel has taken the throne. It can change anytime again.

22 minutes ago, DennisHermannsen said:

It has been discussed multiple times, and most people say that hosting more than 200 customers on the same server is just plain stupid.

Who are those people? Are they web hosting providers or a bunch of VPS users?

If anything, cPanel's new pricing encourages denser servers as the more account you put on a server, the less expensive it gets for a provider.