Is WHMCS going to upgrade Bootstrap from 3 to 4 one day?

There is a feature request for this a year ago and as some comment there, it happens to be that WHMCS still outputs BT3 code from the encrypted templates, at least not all HTML output on the customer side is available. We cannot upgrade our main site for this reason because it would cause a conflict with WHMCS.

14 hours ago, yggdrasil said:

Is WHMCS going to upgrade Bootstrap from 3 to 4 one day?

it will one day.

14 hours ago, yggdrasil said:

There is a feature request for this a year ago and as some comment there, it happens to be that WHMCS still outputs BT3 code from the encrypted templates, at least not all HTML output on the customer side is available. We cannot upgrade our main site for this reason because it would cause a conflict with WHMCS.

personally, I wouldn't expect to see such a change until v8, but who knows when that will be released?

as things stand, we don't even know what the next release will be - if it's v7.7.2, then BS4 won't be included in that (as there would seriously need to be betas for such a change and there won't be any for a maintenance release); if it's a major release, e.g v7.8 or v8, then there will be betas and you'll see it coming down the tracks (unless it's one of those annoying features that always sneak out between RC and GA).

I doubt even WHMCS would tell you when until it's released in a beta (or they know for a fact that a release containing it is very imminent).

My colleague spent an entire week to make Six template 100% compatible with Bootstrap 4. It's doable but we abandoned the project since there are a lot of js codes injected in horrible places that need to be updated accordingly. I'm saying this beacuse they day WHMCS decides to go for BS4 they'll need to re-do a lot of poorly coded scripts based on nonsensical events/elements, not available in multi-language and even shared with backend 🤔

I hope I'm dead before they release it 🤣

On 4/4/2019 at 6:49 PM, Kian said:

My colleague spent an entire week to make Six template 100% compatible with Bootstrap 4. It's doable but we abandoned the project since there are a lot of js codes injected in horrible places that need to be updated accordingly. I'm saying this beacuse they day WHMCS decides to go for BS4 they'll need to re-do a lot of poorly coded scripts based on nonsensical events/elements, not available in multi-language and even shared with backend 🤔

Likely when Bootstrap 6 comes out.. 💆‍♂️

I also spent hours doing exactly this, got to exactly where you did too (with the scripts!) and gave up... 

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2019 at 7:49 PM, Kian said:

It will also be a big deal for module developers. Developers need to ensure compatibility to Bootstrap 3 until WHMCS decides to make Bootstrap 3 templates EOL, which surely will take a long time.
I can also imagine that WHMCS will release a Bootstrap 4 template in addition to the Bootstrap 3 admin + client template. If they would just update Six to BS4 it would probably cause too much headache for everone.

Edited by string

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, string said:

It will also be a big deal for module developers. Developers need to ensure compatibility to Bootstrap 3 until WHMCS decides to make Bootstrap 3 templates EOL, which surely will take a long time.
I can also imagine that WHMCS will release a Bootstrap 4 template in addition to the Bootstrap 3 admin + client template. If they would just update Six to BS4 it would probably cause too much headache for everone.

This would not be a problem if all the browser code was open and available for edition. But WHMCS is forcing web developers to use hooks, and some code is rendered from encoded files. So its not as they can just create 2 WHMCS versions, one that uses BT3 and another BT4 code. WHMCS is basically encoding users front end code, HTML/CSS/JS. This is why people here complain they cannot just upgrade files on their own. This can't work because they don't have access to the full rendered code on the user side.

This will give WHMCS a huge technical problem in the future. They started to use more and more open source libraries like Laravel, BootStrap, etc, but at the same time they started to remove more code from the open files (templates) and move them into encoded files. This makes no sense, because its very hostile towards web developers. If someone buys a software using for example Bootstrap they expect to be able to modify using regular standard code with their own IDE not having to rely on some strange PHP hooks that only work for that software and nothing else. And they are surprised to find out that some code is not even available on the files at all but its behind encoded PHP files. This was even confirmed by WHMCS support. Not all code rendered to the front end is available for developers, this is probably the reason why some people here said they cannot update bootstrap either.

WHMCS did what you should never do. You encode server side code only, never browser code. They mixed both. They not only encoded server side logic required by the software (which is fine) but also code that is rendered towards users. Why WHMCS feels the need they have to protect and encode open source files is beyond me, since those libraries and code are free and already available for everyone to use. This is going to be an issue now and in the future. What when BT5 comes out? Will we have fragmentation? Some users with one version and others with another one? This is why I personally think WHMCS should always leave other companies, or the owners to do their front ends and just focus on the automation/server side code.

In a perfect clean template system, you could just replace the bootstrap files and update all the HTML code to match the new sintaxis. But you can't, because some are behind encoded PHP files. I don't even mind the admin side. This could be even acceptable, assuming the admin side sticks to Bootstrap 3 because it requires major WHMCS changes/upgrades. But the user/customer front end??? This should be our choice. We should be free to use what ever we want here, if that includes not using Bootstrap at all or using another framework, this should be the customer choice.

Edited by yggdrasil

On 4/6/2019 at 1:37 PM, yggdrasil said:

In a perfect clean template system, you could just replace the bootstrap files and update all the HTML code to match the new sintaxis. But you can't, because some are behind encoded PHP files. I don't even mind the admin side. This could be even acceptable, assuming the admin side sticks to Bootstrap 3 because it requires major WHMCS changes/upgrades. But the user/customer front end??? This should be our choice. We should be free to use what ever we want here, if that includes not using Bootstrap at all or using another framework, this should be the customer choice.

There would be much more development of front-end modules in different frameworks and it would make it much more "developer friendly" (like they try to sell it as...)

I'm cool with the admin being BS3, it's the website front-end that needs updating! 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, leewolz said:

There would be much more development of front-end modules in different frameworks and it would make it much more "developer friendly" (like they try to sell it as...)

I'm cool with the admin being BS3, it's the website front-end that needs updating! 

WHMCS developer friendly? They are even encoding open source files and mixing their proprietary code with open source code which violates most GPL licenses...I would not call that developer friendly at all but rather hostile. I'm also cool with the admin being what ever they want. But not the front end. This should be completely 100% open code and people should be able to use what ever they want, that includes bootstrap or no bootstrap or just anything they want. Giving them full access to all the code and files that is generating user visible output.

Edited by yggdrasil

Is there any reason why WHMCS is encoding the open sourced files?

Any guess what made them take extra (useless) efforts to encode such front end files?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jafar Muhammed said:

Is there any reason why WHMCS is encoding the open sourced files?

Any guess what made them take extra (useless) efforts to encode such front end files?

Sloppy coding? It requires to much work to separate files? I don't know, but its most likely not on purpose. They just mixed open source code with their own code and files and it was encoded by default. But this is not allowed, see here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License

See Linking and derived works

As much as I know, WHMCS must make all the files that link or use GPL code accessible for modification. Encoding them is the opposite, you cannot modify them.

You can use GPL as far as I know with commercial software and code, that is fair game as plenty if not most commercial software use open source files, but what you cannot do is encode those files with IonCube so nobody can modify them since its not your code in the first place. You can search another topic here about TinyMCE which WHMCS also decided to encode some part of the configuration file...Again not allowed per that license. The result is that you cannot edit the configuration since its behind encoded files.

This is actually strange because I know that ioncube is very flexible with what you can or cannot encode and you can even do this programmatically with command line arguments for specific extensions, folders, include or exclude files, etc. So you can indeed encode or leave out all the files you want on every build process. I assume this is just a mistake by WHMCS developers that don't know the difference anymore between their files & code and third party ones as they mixed everything into one big pile of code. The other problem with this approach, is that now all the superb documentation from those softwares, like TinyMCE, Bootstrap, Laravel, etc, is mostly useless as they don't apply to WHMCS versions of those files anymore either. You read something in a vendor documentation or expect something to work and it will not. Once you start to debug its because WHMCS modified something and that something is encoded and you have no access to the modifications. I hope for version 8 up they decide to clean up house.

Edited by yggdrasil

I read the TinyMCE thread a few months ago when I was trying to add my font to the mailer.

Taking an open sourced file/tool/framework and behaving it like it is my efforts is unethical and against the core concept of the open source.

And sadly, WHMSC is doing the same.  

Posted (edited)

I don't think so. The story about unethical use of TinyMCE by WHMCS in my opinion is pretentious. I'm quoting parts of TinyMCE license agreement.

Use of the TinyMCE Core Editor through the Cloud Subscription Service does not constitute use under an opensource license.

TinyMCE is included in WHMCS. In order to include TinyMCE in your commercial software you need to purchase Cloud Subscription Service that like stated above «does not constitute use under an opensource license». In other words it can be obfuscated without any problem since it's not opensource.

A No Charge Subscription License entitles the Subscriber to use Tiny Drive in accordance with the terms specified in Section 3.5 of this Agreement.

On the contrary you are required to use TinyMCE as an opensource software only when you have a No Charge Subscription.

Edited by Kian