VPN Service Provider Addon+Server WHMCS Module :: Seeking Ideas/Feedback

vpntech

Ibvpn also allows users to manually select the server to connect in addition to assigning automatically the  quickest server for connection. 

For most commercial VPN providers, they won't let user select each node manually because if a node is too full, it may degrade the speed of all the current users in that node further. If a bus is already too , u don't want more passengers barging in. E.g. tunnelbear only assigns a node based on geolocation. I think they just use a simple highest speed criterion for the allocation for each region. Their allocation and connection is instantaneous unlike ibvpn's waiting for least 30second. 

Since I am not ibvpn, I wouldn't know why it takes so long to assign the quickest server for a connection. My best guess is that they just query the entire list of server for the highest connection in real time and when they only have 20 server on the list, it is quick. But when their list grows to 175, the query takes 30s to run. Obviously they couldn't find a way around this slow connection  problem. In my opinion, that is an unacceptable waiting time because if they grow to 1000 server, the auto connection time will be 2minute.

So the big question is whether u should list every VPN node config  for users to choose manually.  This is normal  for only small vpn business because each region wouldn't have more than 20 servers and so users can eyeball the fastest one to join.

Ideally and if it is possible to query dynamically and in real time without delay  , user should only be shown the quickest vpn node for each country. 

The best scenario, a VPN operator should be given warning if all the servers become slow and it is time to spin up new VPN nodes to cope with more traffic.

I personally use terraform and docker to spin up each node on the cloud  and the bottleneck of setting up the node is the manual product input using whmcs GUI.

If you want to discuss more in details, feel free to contact me in telegram @Superjedi.

Thank you for the detailed information. This gave me several concrete ideas on how to implement the client configuration API with automatic node selection. I will build in different connection modes for the whmcs admin to select from to make it work for different business models. I will post info on this once it is implemented. 

In order for the webhook of whmcs to disconnect or connect a VPN node based on customers payment and usage , the download traffic is monitored.

Tunnelbear tracks the download traffic in real time so they can disconnect a customer easily if a customer has exceeded his allowance . 

How does it affect the performance of whmcs database instance  if it has to track all the VPN traffic in real time  when there are 1000 nodes streaming   and serving  10000 customers ? 

Can I assume the whmcs database will aggregate all the usage data  from different VPN nodes for each customer ? For example, I have to set up and erase each VPN node frequently so any data on each VPN node will be erased and if whmcs database doesn't record and save the traffic log in real time and at the same time I delete some  VPN nodes when the whmcs database is spinned down for maintenance, those traffic log will be gone. 

Another scenario is that if I have to spin down my whmcs main database instance for maintenance, all the vpn will still be operational but the real time download traffic wouldnt be processed by the whmcs database. Will the whmcs database sync  up to those  download traffic  log of each VPN  node  when it is spinned back up again ? Or those traffic database will be gone ? These  are quite  important issues because it affects how we do maintenance and the integrity of the traffic log wouldnt be ensured depending how the database tracks the traffic..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, TrippleEx said:

I realy doesn’t understand why such kind of projects will be lost 

One day you wake up and start thinking about coding a module that sends an email to your father when an order is placed. Everyone loves your idea so you start working on it staying motivated then here is what happens:

• You need an action hook that doesn't exist not to mention an API function that doesn't want to give you the only value you need
  • A new update of WHMCS forces you to rethink chunks of your code
  • People expect this module to support multi-language, SEO-Friendly URLs and to be fully responsive
  • Most icons don't show up because the latest version of WHMCS still uses FontAwesome released 2 years ago 🤔
  • You relize you need to display, paginate, filter, export some records and you also need a file uploader. Scripts don't write themselves
  • Umh... this is getting out of hand. I need an installer, an auto-updater and a webservice that notifies clients about updates 😩
  • There's one guy on whmcs.community.com that wants to send the email to his sister instead of his father. Another guy uses SMTP so I can't rely on phpMail. And this guy named Charles wants to attach a picture of his dog
  • Have you started coding this project in procedural? Game over. Refactor the entire project on OOP
  • Implement a licensing system (🤣🤣🤣), enjoy ionCube and sell your software
  • There's a guy that runs WHMCS on Windows XP with Oracle and PHP 3.0 🤯 guess why you script doesn't work
  • Fix bugs, reply to tens of tickets per day, write documentation that no one reads, take 10000+ screenshots, repeat yourself a million of times, take the blame for World War 2
  • Prepare yourself to reply to the following question "Is this module still active?" for the upcoming 10 years

If you managed to reach this point congratulations! You must be Harry Potter! 🧙‍♂️

Edited by Kian

Soon we hope launch the beta-test with two different business model: sell individual VPN accounts and sell dedicated VPS with VPN and WHMCS management.

If you folks have ideas or suggestions from what kind of VPN service needed to management (OpenVPN etc) fell free to PM me.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/12/2019 at 3:31 AM, vpntech said:

Thanks for the feedback. Yes this is an interesting idea.. So you are saying that when the vpn config is being generated, the vpn endpoint contained in the config file is based on the usage of all the nodes.  Does this mean that the client would be unable to connect to a specific vpn server (the least usage algorithm selects it for them). The way I have it working currently is each client service can query the list of vpn nodes they have access to and query the config file to connect to one of them.   Send me your thoughts.

what is the stat on this addon ? where can i get it ?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...