• WHMCS Staff

Hi @tap0le,

I'd recommend checking out our latest GitHub commits, linked in our Release Notes under "Template Changes". This shows all of the updates required to templates to ensure they work correctly with WHMCS at the latest version.

You can find the v7.6 Release Notes here: https://docs.whmcs.com/Version_7.6.0_Release_Notes

Each time we release a new version, we list in our Release Notes if we have made any changes to our stock templates which will affect WHMCS functionality so that custom templates may be updated too.

38 minutes ago, WHMCS Peter said:

Hi @tap0le,

I'd recommend checking out our latest GitHub commits, linked in our Release Notes under "Template Changes". This shows all of the updates required to templates to ensure they work correctly with WHMCS at the latest version.

You can find the v7.6 Release Notes here: https://docs.whmcs.com/Version_7.6.0_Release_Notes

Each time we release a new version, we list in our Release Notes if we have made any changes to our stock templates which will affect WHMCS functionality so that custom templates may be updated too.

You are missing the point. The default, stock templates are the ones with this problem! Broken templates were released.

7 hours ago, tap0le said:

You are missing the point. The default, stock templates are the ones with this problem! Broken templates were released.

Unfortunately you are correct. While the grand majority of the stock templates were properly updated, it appears that a few were missed. As such, bug cases have been opened to have these corrected as soon as possible.

This was released to the public as general release candidate? I might start my own software company at this point because this seems like some sloppy teenager operation, not something I would expect from a software company like WHMCS that is established for years. Nobody tested the templates? Replacing the code for the new font awesome code would take what? 20 minutes? It's a simple search and replace operation on the templates...

Who is approving the software versions from beta to release candidate? This looks like an alpha to me. I would never even consider installing 7.6 at this point with the things I'm reading so far that are very naive mistakes.

I've just updated from 7.5.2 and now on 7.6.0. I think some of the Font Awesome 5.2 Icons are broken in certain browsers only.

For example,

https://fontawesome.com/icons?d=gallery&q=share&m=free

The above icon is broken on Chrome Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit) but it works great on Microsoft Edge 42.17134.1.0

I wonder if this is browser rendering problem, or FA's svg things because it's certainly not WHMCS issue. I've edited all my custom templates and required js to use the new "fas/far/fab" classes but unfortunately the icons are still broken... Very poor "stable" release indeed, how can 7.6.0 passed RC anyway?

6 hours ago, yggdrasil said:

It's a simple search and replace operation on the templates...

they'll be called by the encoded files too... I can remember in the first v7.6 beta, you couldn't use fontawesome brand icons (e.g twitter, whmcs) at all in the homepagepanels or sidebars - but that got fixed in the general release (if not the RC).

6 hours ago, yggdrasil said:

Who is approving the software versions from beta to release candidate?

probably the same people who approved v7.5, v7.4, v7 and all versions before that... and likely will still be given the task to approve v8. 😲

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

I hope you are not serious Brian. Is that even legal? Encode open source as your own private commercial license? I hope that is a joke and or a big mistake and they where not indeed encoding the fontawesome related code and files...Using and mixing open source is fine but they have to leave those licenses intact.

Edited by yggdrasil

26 minutes ago, yggdrasil said:

I hope you are not serious Brian. Is that even legal? Encode open source as your own private commercial license? I hope that is a joke and or a big mistake and they where not indeed encoding the fontawesome related code and files...Using and mixing open source is fine but they have to leave those licenses intact.

I think he just means encoded files are calling/referencing the FA code, in addition to the templates. They aren't in violation of any licenses, but it's frustrating that the refs can't be manually fixed if encoded.

Edited by tap0le

14 hours ago, tap0le said:

I think he just means encoded files are calling/referencing the FA code, in addition to the templates. They aren't in violation of any licenses, but it's frustrating that the refs can't be manually fixed if encoded.

That is equally bad. I just have similar issues on 7.5 where I cannot fix the URL's unless I create a special PHP code that has to intercept WHMCS output and replace them. This is just plain horrible way of doing web stuff. Encoding paths, url and other things in the software so you cannot change the locations. Its ok for them to have fixed paths for their internal PHP tasks and core but things that belong into customers public templates? Its an abomination. You should be free to change all colors, links, fonts, text, and everything else on your side with regular standard coding, not some WHMCS hack.

Edited by yggdrasil

@cybershubham - i'm not sure who are you replying to but clearing my browser cache certainly didn't do anything positive for me... can anyone confirm the issue about my post? 

i know whmcs was one of the backers for FA last time but they can't even integrate properly at this point... i love FA5 icons, it's so much better than FA4.. Good move! However, my "Transfer Domains" sidebar link in my template is using the "share" icons and it seems broken in Chrome! Someone pls help me report this to FA team and WHMCS should do something about it for example something like a fallback feature can become handy and useful...

23 hours ago, tap0le said:

precisely... WHMCS haven't encoded the FA stuff (AFAIA), but sometimes the arrays created in the encoded files contain specific font awesome icons... certainly, some of the MarketConnect arrays do that.

19 minutes ago, Rangka Kacang said:

However, my "Transfer Domains" sidebar link in my template is using the "share" icons and it seems broken in Chrome!

looks fine to me on my v7.6 dev (using Firefox, Edge or Chrome), and when I add it manually to the homepage too...

pF9vW2c.png

vtNpydC.png

are you using a custom theme ?

1 hour ago, brian! said:

precisely... WHMCS haven't encoded the FA stuff (AFAIA), but sometimes the arrays created in the encoded files contain specific font awesome icons... certainly, some of the MarketConnect arrays do that.

looks fine to me on my v7.6 dev (using Firefox, Edge or Chrome), and when I add it manually to the homepage too...

pF9vW2c.png

vtNpydC.png

are you using a custom theme ?

Hi, there!

I created an issue on FA's github and found out that the problem was actually due to the AdBlocker extension on my Chrome. At this point, I don't even know who to blame: (1) WHMCS for using FA, (2) AdBlocker for blocking FA, or (3) myself for using AdBlocker (and using FA on my custom template). The love affairs among all involve seems to have degenerated into an unhappy marriage of WHMCS+FA.... Sad indeed...

https://github.com/FortAwesome/Font-Awesome/issues/13703

Edited by Rangka Kacang

On 8/2/2018 at 8:42 PM, WHMCS Marcus said:

Unfortunately you are correct. While the grand majority of the stock templates were properly updated, it appears that a few were missed. As such, bug cases have been opened to have these corrected as soon as possible.

It would be really nice if WHMCS would let us know exactly WHICH of the templates are broken and how to fix them so when we decide to do the update we can keep our businesses running quickly, rather then being embarrassed! I will not be pulling the trigger on this update for quite some time unless WHMCS behaves responsibly!

4 hours ago, rkatz0 said:

It would be really nice if WHMCS would let us know exactly WHICH of the templates are broken and how to fix them so when we decide to do the update we can keep our businesses running quickly, rather then being embarrassed!

I suspect they aren't telling you simply because they're still checking the extent of the issue - it's not necessarily just about the templates, it could be about the code that creates arrays that have coded FA5 into their output.

purely in terms of .tpl templates, I can see 2 with incorrect code in - six/twitterfeed.tpl and standard_cart/marketconnect-promo.tpl... though bizarrely the second one works as is, so perhaps FA5 is flexible on some things, not on others.. or possibly more likely, WHMCS have taken an inconsistent approach in their use.

On 02/08/2018 at 15:11, PhilipUK said:

I'm having this same issue all over the site - looks dreadful

@PhilipUK - isn't that social media sidebar taken from the old v6 docs... ?

https://docs.whmcs.com/Editing_Client_Area_Menus#Add_a_social_media_panel_to_the_end_of_the_sidebar

if so, then you'd need to put 'fab' in front of the brand (twitter, google, instagam etc) icon links..

'icon' => 'fab fa-facebook',

twitterfeed.tpl

socialmedia.php

@rkatz0,

I'm not 100% sure what response you are looking for exactly. Let me say that I've seen a few patterns in my review around the reports of issues re:FontAwesome:

1. There are some places where we miss converting the icons or converted them incorrectly. Here is the full list of cases I'm aware of that are related to the Font Awesome update:
    1. CORE-12587 Update index twitter icons for FA5
    2. CORE-12601 FA5 - Credit Card icons in Client Summary - "Credit Card Information" window do not display due to incorrect class of icon
    3. CORE-12605 v4 and Blend Ticket Editor Missing Heading Icon
    4. CORE-12596 Ticket Feedback Stars Not Working
  2. We've gotten a number of tickets where FA-4 references in custom templates or hooks or third party modules/addons are not working or have not been converted correctly. This is not totally unexpected, the number of files and changes from 7.5 -> 7.6 was across 89 files: "Showing with 16,604 additions and 2,824 deletions." while from 7.4-7.5 was across 45 files "Showing with 1,872 additions and 259 deletions".
  3. We've also seen reports where items were cached in browsers and that caused issues as reported in this thread.
  4. Other FA challenges, like the Ad Blocker blocking how FA 5 works, etc.

The majority of the cases can be fixed with quick templates and so we decided against releasing hotfixes for them. If there are specific ones of these issues that are critical for you, that is important feedback.

That said when I see a report that: "many of the icons are not working" and in actuality we are talking about less then half of 1% the icons not working correctly, I suspect its more a case of #2 then #1.

Hopefully that is closer to the kind of information you're looking for. If you have other specific questions about those cases, I'm happy to try and answer them.

Nate C

17 minutes ago, WHMCS Nate said:

@rkatz0,

I'm not 100% sure what response you are looking for exactly. Let me say that I've seen a few patterns in my review around the reports of issues re:FontAwesome:

1. There are some places where we miss converting the icons or converted them incorrectly. Here is the full list of cases I'm aware of that are related to the Font Awesome update:
    1. CORE-12587 Update index twitter icons for FA5
    2. CORE-12601 FA5 - Credit Card icons in Client Summary - "Credit Card Information" window do not display due to incorrect class of icon
    3. CORE-12605 v4 and Blend Ticket Editor Missing Heading Icon
    4. CORE-12596 Ticket Feedback Stars Not Working
  2. We've gotten a number of tickets where FA-4 references in custom templates or hooks or third party modules/addons are not working or have not been converted correctly. This is not totally unexpected, the number of files and changes from 7.5 -> 7.6 was across 89 files: "Showing with 16,604 additions and 2,824 deletions." while from 7.4-7.5 was across 45 files "Showing with 1,872 additions and 259 deletions".
  3. We've also seen reports where items were cached in browsers and that caused issues as reported in this thread.
  4. Other FA challenges, like the Ad Blocker blocking how FA 5 works, etc.

The majority of the cases can be fixed with quick templates and so we decided against releasing hotfixes for them. If there are specific ones of these issues that are critical for you, that is important feedback.

That said when I see a report that: "many of the icons are not working" and in actuality we are talking about less then half of 1% the icons not working correctly, I suspect its more a case of #2 then #1.

Hopefully that is closer to the kind of information you're looking for. If you have other specific questions about those cases, I'm happy to try and answer them.

Nate C

PS Thank you for TOTALLY misinterpreting my question. WHMCS USED to be about business now it seems to be about romper room programming garbage!!!! Come on guys, get back to what is important for your clients!!!