Cancelled Domain Renewal Invoice

Bertie

Hi,

Is there a way to stop it from cancelling  "Domain Renewal Invoices" automatically? I've just noticed there is two clients with a domain name that has expired. They haven't put in a request to renew or cancel the domain name at this moment in time. The system has created an invoice for the said renewal which is normal but then it has "Cancelled" the invoice. 

Even though the client hasn't said they wanted it cancelled, surely the invoice should still be classed as "Unpaid" until they have told us they don't want to renew it? The two domains have still got time on them to renew it without any problems.

Bertie, I have had this happen twice in the last two days, since upgrading to version 7.5.1.  I believe this is a bug, but you know how difficult it is to prove a bug to WHMCS.  I don't have enough data yet to approach them, sadly.  But just know... it's not just you!!

- Scott

I have opened a ticket on this, Ticket IKU-483961.

I dug into one of the cancelled invoices... the customer had not logged in since March of LAST YEAR, so this user definitely did not cancel the invoice.  Reviewing the Log for this user does not show any log entries for our staff, so our staff did not do this, either.  The Log only shows the invoice being automatically created 1 month before expiration (which is how we want it), and it shows the invoice being emailed to the customer. No other entries.  Where/why/how it got cancelled is a mystery.

- Scott

I had documented another cancelled invoice, but on this one, the customer DID log in and do their own 5 year renewal, so the 1 year auto invoice was properly cancelled -- deleting this comment from this thread).  WHMCS Staff, feel free to delete this post.

Edited by ScottN

A very smart sysadmin friend of mine suggested that maybe the new "Domain Grace and Redemption Fee" feature might be causing this.  Under Setup > Domains, there is a new setting "Domain Grace and Redemption Fees".  I had recently set this to "Disabled" since I work with customers personally, should they have an expired domain that has gone into RGP, that they wish to recoever (I do not want to automate this feature).

I've attached a screen shot of that setting.

I'm going to re-enable this, and see if my problem goes away.

- Scott

whmcs-rgp.jpg

Hi Scott,

Thanks for replying to the thread. It's nice to see I'm not the only one who has experienced this issue with domain renewal invoices being cancelled. Let me know if the domain grace and redemption fee being re-enabled fixes it for you. 

I'm also on the latest version of WHMCS and cannot remember seeing this take place before 7.5.X.

Hopefully others or WHMCS staff can shed some light on this. 

Edited by Bertie

It makes sense.

An issue of older versions of WHMCS was:

• domain in going to expire, WHMCS issue the proforma invoice
  • domain expires without having been renewed by the customer
  • domains enter in redemption 
  • customer log in, finds the pro forma invoice for regular renewal, pays it

Result: customer pays 10 to you for an ordinary renewal, you pay 90 for the redemption ... 

1 hour ago, Remitur said:

It makes sense.

An issue of older versions of WHMCS was:

• domain in going to expire, WHMCS issue the proforma invoice
  • domain expires without having been renewed by the customer
  • domains enter in redemption 
  • customer log in, finds the pro forma invoice for regular renewal, pays it

Result: customer pays 10 to you for an ordinary renewal, you pay 90 for the redemption ... 

The problem with what is happening now is that it's cancelling invoices for domain names that can still be renewed normally and isn't in the "redemption" period. Plus this doesn't even apply to domains with Nominet (.co.uk etc) but would still cancel that invoice.

Edited by Bertie

WHMCS Tech Support confirmed that this is expected behavior:

In 7.5 the invoice will be cancelled once the domain has expired and no grace/redemption fees are configured for the TLD under Setup > Products/Services > Domain Pricing when the functionality is enabled under Setup > General Settings > Domains tab. Otherwise you could end up unintentionally paying hundreds in fees to a registrar who charges redemption fees.

What's odd is that the problem didn't start happening until I clicked "Disabled".  I put it back to "Enabled" to stop the problem.  This is the opposite of what WHMCS Tech Support has indicated above.   We already delete domain renewal invoices after 30 days manually, so we don't really need this feature, which is why I clicked "Disabled", causing all these problems.

I will be responding to WHMCS to ask them why the problem started when I disabled the feature, when their response indicates that it would have only happened when it is Enabled.  By the way, after I changed it back to Enabled, it stopped cancelling invoices for expired domains (whew!)

- Scott

3 hours ago, ScottN said:

What's odd is that the problem didn't start happening until I clicked "Disabled".  I put it back to "Enabled" to stop the problem.  This is the opposite of what WHMCS Tech Support has indicated above.   We already delete domain renewal invoices after 30 days manually, so we don't really need this feature, which is why I clicked "Disabled", causing all these problems.

I guess (must check):

- if you disable the feature, WHMCS assumes no grace period existing => delete the invoice, in order not to make possible the renewal

- if you enable the feature, you need also specify how log is grace period (and invoice may be preserved)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hitting this issue too since 7.5.1.

I've got Grace/Redemption handling enabled. The Grace period is set as 30 days and the fee is zero; I'm not charging if someone forgets to renew within the grace period.

Invoices are getting cancelled when the domain expires. I have to go in an mark the invoice unpaid.

I don't think this feature is working correctly. Surely if I've set a grace period of 30 days, the invoice should remain unpaid for 30 days?

@aegisdesign when you say you have Grace/Redemption enabled, do you mean you have "Domain Grace and Redemption Fees" set to "Enabled" under General Settings > Domains ?

How about under Setup > Products/Services > Domain Pricing... under Bulk Management, is that all blank (mine is)... then, if you click the GEAR icon next to any TLS, do you have anything entered, other than the default days and 0.00 fee, for Grace and Redemption Period?  

Personally, I don't want to do anything with Grace Period or Redemption fees... I'd love for domain renewal invoices to be automatically cancelled after the Grace Period ends, and be done with it. If anyone has any tips on how to accomplish that, I'm all ears.

- Scott

• 4 weeks later...

Also,

As anyone noticed when a domain name's status is changed to: Grace Period (Expired) it actually removes the domain name from the "Domains" section on the client's summary page. Surely it should stay there?

Edited by Bertie

On 18/06/2018 at 8:33 PM, Bertie said:

Also,

As anyone noticed when a domain name's status is changed to: Grace Period (Expired) it actually removes the domain name from the "Domains" section on the client's summary page. Surely it should stay there?

@Bertie do you happen to have a status filter enabled on your log domain list at all?

13 minutes ago, WHMCS ChrisD said:

@Bertie do you happen to have a status filter enabled on your log domain list at all?

Hi Chris,

How can I double check that? The way I found it was missing is when I went to Clients > View/Search Clients > Clicked on the specific client. Scrolled down on the client summary page to where it has "Domains" and that domain name was missing from the list. It only re-appeared when I changed the status to "Expired". I changed it back to "Grace Period (Expired)" and then it vanished again on the list. The domain name appears on the drop down menu of domains when you click on the "Domains" tab for example. But not on the list of domains on the clientsummary.php page. 

Edited by Bertie

I think Chris may be onto something with this... it's just above the product/services table on the clientsummary page.

gOihe2B.png

I don't think you can turn the status filter off (i've never seen it say "On") - other than ticking all the checkboxes... I think it's "on" by default with both Grace & Redemption Period options being normally disabled... ticking both checkboxes will make those applicable domains appear again.

8 minutes ago, aegisdesign said:

This new feature needs a rethink. The inability to offer free grace period renewals without the invoices being cancelled is causing us regular headaches and lost customers.

even if you disable the grace functionality in general settings -> domains?

1 hour ago, brian! said:

I think Chris may be onto something with this... it's just above the product/services table on the clientsummary page.

gOihe2B.png

I don't think you can turn the status filter off (i've never seen it say "On") - other than ticking all the checkboxes... I think it's "on" by default with both Grace & Redemption Period options being normally disabled... ticking both checkboxes will make those applicable domains appear again.

Ah yes, that would be it. There should be a way to have those ticked by default? Or at least allow us to have them ticked for all staff. Somehow? 

11 minutes ago, Bertie said:

There should be a way to have those ticked by default? Or at least allow us to have them ticked for all staff. Somehow? 

quick way might be to edit the clientsummary.tpl template and change in the domains table (e.g in Blend @ ~ 370)...

<table class="datatable filterable" width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3">

to...

<table class="datatable" width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3">

that will effectively disable the filter on that domains table and ALL domain statuses will be shown (including grace and redemption period domains). :idea:

I daresay they'll be a jQuery hook way to do it too, but editing the template should do for now and then see if it gets fixed/improved in a future release.

2 hours ago, brian! said:

even if you disable the grace functionality in general settings -> domains?

Not sure. I've still got it enabled as the redemption period billing is useful. *sigh*

Does anyone actually charge for grace period renewals? I've not come across a registrar who does. (ENOM, NetIM don't) Or is it just specific TLDs

13 hours ago, aegisdesign said:

Not sure. I've still got it enabled as the redemption period billing is useful. *sigh*

Does anyone actually charge for grace period renewals? I've not come across a registrar who does. (ENOM, NetIM don't) Or is it just specific TLDs

We are going to add a USD0.10 fee for grace periods just to keep the invoice opened.