has whmcsNow.com ceased trading

snake

40 minutes ago, IoxHost said:

The issue occurs when the local key is invalid and the remote server check fails.

Exactly. whmcsNow probably is not using any local key meaning that:

• As soon as the licensing server is offline you are dead
  • Its module needs to perform the licensing check on every page load slowing your system

If you use the Local Key you solve both problems since the module checks the license only once every X days (I'd use someting between 7 and 21 days). That said, I still think that the script is fine. You can't change it so that it already includes the use of the local key. Let me give you an example. Personally I store local key in tbladdonmodules table, another developer might store it in another table/file or even on a different CMS like Wordpress, Joomla (...) In fact the licensing script is used also in softwares developed for other platforms. Long story short the way you store the local key depends on your own software. WHMCS can't assume that everyone uses the same approach that's why the scipt is named check_sample_code.php. A developer should adapt it to match his/her needs.

The real problem in my opinion is the one I described earlier (IP / domain) since it affects anyone on any platform. Even if it's limited to specific hosting environments and server configuration, it creates an unnecessary flood of "CheckLicense" requests making local key completely useless.

Edited by Kian

50 minutes ago, Kian said:

Exactly. whmcsNow probably is not using any local key meaning that:

• As soon as the licensing server is offline you are dead
  • Its module needs to perform the licensing check on every page load slowing your system

If you use the Local Key you solve both problems since the module checks the license only once every X days (I'd use someting between 7 and 21 days). That said, I still think that the script is fine. You can't change it so that it already includes the use of the local key. Let me give you an example. Personally I store local key in tbladdonmodules table, another developer might store it in another table/file or even on a different CMS like Wordpress, Joomla (...) In fact the licensing script is used also in softwares developed for other platforms. Long story short the way you store the local key depends on your own software. WHMCS can't assume that everyone uses the same approach that's why the scipt is named check_sample_code.php. A developer should adapt it to match his/her needs.

Just to clarify, this community account is the owner of WHMCSnow.com (you are not allowed to have "WHMCS" within a username on here.

WHMCSnow.com does store a license key which works correctly to prevent calls to the server often.

The issue occurred for a few customers who was unlucky enough to have the local key expire and the licensing server returning a 500 ISE due to an issue with an upgrade.

The issue with the grace period would occur to anyone who uses the WHMCS license system, and the customer local key just expiring at the same time as there is an issue with the license check.

You can see this is an issue as it has happened to WHMCSnow.com and BusyRack as reported by Chris74.

We have patched the issue with the grace period for our own addons in the chance that the licensing server has an issue again.

We use a highly customized version of the WHMCS Licensing System which is why this affected us.

1 hour ago, Kian said:

The real problem in my opinion is the one I described earlier (IP / domain) since it affects anyone on any platform. Even if it's limited to specific hosting environments and server configuration, it creates an unnecessary flood of "CheckLicense" requests making local key completely useless.

The method you said regarding using the WHMCS license key works and is what WHMCSnow.com uses.

• 11 months later...
3 minutes ago, shed said:

We are trying to remove your Lets get social addon, however I just get an invalid licence error. Trying to remove the folders vis FTP breakes WHMCS . Any chance of some help with this?

Rgds

Terry

Just about to reply to your support ticket..