Sign in to follow this  
Damo

Admin updating credit card deletes customer at Stripe (WHMCS v7.3.0)

When trying to update a customers card via the Admin area the customer is deleted from our Stripe Account.  The logs show an API call that updates the card followed by an immediate call to delete the customer.

If you are clearing the CC details, then WHMCS will mark the customer as deleted at Stripe. This won't remove the customer, but they will appear with strike through text.

Hi Andrew, I tried the clear button as any attempt to update the card details resulted in a remote storage error (contact support).  The gateway log shows a message to say that the customer (cus_9999) doesn't exist.  When I look the customer up by email in Stripe it shows nothing but when I look in the logs it shows the customer as deleted.  Now I can't add a card for this customer.

Why isn't the card removed, and not the customer deleted?

How do we now get a card stored this customer?

We used to use the free Stripe integration before converting to the WHMCS supplied gateway and it didn't work this way.  Right now we have a customer that is unable to pay by credit card.

The description of your issue sounds like you have conflicting things occurring, perhaps from your other integration you were using?

Do you see any notices on the Stripe gateway configuration in Setup -> Payments -> Payment Gateways?

It may be easier to open a ticket and have support take a look.

6 hours ago, Damo said:

Hi Andrew, I tried the clear button as any attempt to update the card details resulted in a remote storage error (contact support).  The gateway log shows a message to say that the customer (cus_9999) doesn't exist.  When I look the customer up by email in Stripe it shows nothing but when I look in the logs it shows the customer as deleted.  Now I can't add a card for this customer.

Why isn't the card removed, and not the customer deleted?

How do we now get a card stored this customer?

We used to use the free Stripe integration before converting to the WHMCS supplied gateway and it didn't work this way.  Right now we have a customer that is unable to pay by credit card.

Did you clear out all the old 3rd party stripe module files?

Edited by mustardman

Yes mustardman the old files were removed when we switched over to the WHMCS included module.  It's all been working fine up until two days ago.

Andrew there are no notices on the config page either.  I'll open a ticket and get support to look in to it.

12 hours ago, Damo said:

I'll open a ticket and get support to look in to it.

and if you get an answer, report back to the thread in case others are in a similar situation. :idea:

Hi Corey,

No, no answer was forthcoming.  I talked the customer through updating their details after logging in.  We haven't had to updated any card details since but never got an answer to why WHMCS deleted the client at Stripe instead of just removing the linked card.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Rusky
      Apologies for cross posting this from the General Discussion thread. Wasn't sure were best to raise it...
      We recently received a notification from Stripe that an action was required in our Stripe account to lodge a SAQ-D self assessment to remain PCI compliant. This came as a surprise because it was our understanding that WHMCS v8.1 uses Stripe Elements, which supports a simplified PCI compliance. When I questioned Stripe about this I received the following response...
      Can anyone shed more light on the WHMCS PCI compliance situation and if the Stripe gateway in WHMCS really is using Stripe Elements?
      I was basing my understanding on this blog article, however there seems to be a disconnect between this article and what Stripe is saying:
      https://blog.whmcs.com/133563/feature-spotlight-stripe-in-whmcs-78
      Cheers
      John
    • By Rusky
      We recently received a notification from Stripe that an action was required in our Stripe account to lodge a SAQ-D self assessment to remain PCI compliant. This came as a surprise because it was our understanding that WHMCS v8.1 uses Stripe Elements, which supports a simplified PCI compliance. When I questioned Stripe about this I received the following response...
      Can anyone shed more light on the WHMCS PCI compliance situation and if the Stripe gateway in WHMCS really is using Stripe Elements?
      I was basing my understanding on this blog article, however there seems to be a disconnect between this article and what Stripe is saying:
      https://blog.whmcs.com/133563/feature-spotlight-stripe-in-whmcs-78
      Cheers
      John
    • By mindofmedia
      Hello,
      Like every year where are adjusting our pricing on the local index. 
      But because we still have a few clients that uses our old product gamma we still need to updates these pricing also. While that's fine for the active clients, I can't seems to delete the products that aren't active anymore on any client besides that are cancelled or terminated.
      So that product is still in the clients database (as cancelled or terminated) and most of the times the customer isn't even a customer anymore. Because of that I can't remove the products from Whmcs. I can hide them, retire them that is all fine but they still are in the admin product list (not in dropdown, the actual list where you can see all your products in the admin area).
      So I was wondering, what if I delete all the terminated and cancelled products from the customers client profile.
      But I'm not really sure about that, so I would like to know your opinion. What do you do?
      I think in EU (or BE for that fact), we can't delete the customer profile data, invoices, etc for 10 years (maybe a hard copy of the invoices is fine, don't know). But I don't think that applies on their products (since the actually webhosting is already long gone of course). And if we want we can still see the history on their invoices.
      So what do you do when a customer (or you) cancels (or terminates), what do you do with their profile, history, products, tickets, invoices, etc? Do you delete it, keep it, keep if for a few months, years, decades?
    • By henrimule
      I have had stripe for a while without issues until I upgraded WHMCS  yesterday to v8 and a few hours after a customer complaint we were charging his card for invoices he doesn't wanna pay. I checked his account and noticed he has been charged for unpaid invoices due 2017 to present. I had a test account in WHMCS that I used to validate the system, in there I had various invoices I have created, some to a tune of $900. Today when I checked my card I have been charged for all the unpaid invoices in my test account and every bit of them paid.
      Other customers have been charged as well and all unpaid invoices in their account no matter how old have been paid. The frustration led me to deactivate Stripe all together as I was not sure what was going on and didn't wanna deal with any of these. I had to refund all the money back to the customers and myself. I called STRIPE and they said, this isn't their fault but my 3rd-party application is the problem and in this case WHMCS.
      What is going on? Why are all unpaid invoices being charged automatically without approval when we do not have any settings to that effect? 
    • By thatlinuxguy
      My business is in the US. 
      Our newly acquired book keeper noticed that while WHMCS is documenting tax payments, the information being sent to Stripe does not. 

After contacting Stripe support they mentioned that the 3rd party app ( WHMCS) needs to add a specific metadata component to be able to pass that tax over to Stripe. 

*** Note: Stripe is to not deduct taxes only categorize the tax for bookkeeping purposes

These are the articles they sent me. 
      https://stripe.com/blog/adding-context-with-metadata
      and
      "
      When you create a charge with the Stripe API, you (or a third-party platform, if you're using one) send the total amount to Stripe, without any qualifiers about what elements went into making up that final amount --for example, a sales tax amount, or shipping fee.
      If you want to break out parts of that final amount, you'll need to explicitly tell Stripe that. Otherwise we just see a total `amount`, and have no way of knowing what portion of that is tax.
      The easiest way to do this is with the metadata parameter on a charge, with which you can add any arbitrary information as a series of key:value pairs, which will be surfaced to you in our standard exports via the dashboard. You can also pull this data from Sigma the API [1][2].
      You can read about metadata here:
      https://stripe.com/blog/adding-context-with-metadata
      If you're already putting these amounts in the metadata parameter, you should see this in your exports.
      If you're using a third-party product or platform to create your charges with Stripe and they are putting this clarifying information about your charges in metadata, you should see it in your Stripe reporting. If you do not, it means they are not sending us this information. You should reach out to them to ask about this if this is something you need. 
      Alternatively, it is possible that the platform offers its own reporting on which these amounts are broken out, even if they're not sending this information to Stripe.
      [1] https://stripe.com/docs/sigma
      [2] https://stripe.com/docs/api
      "

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
      TIA!