Paypal stopped working after updating

lance

We were running fine on 5.1.7, upgraded to 5.1.8 then to 5.1.9 and paypal callbacks now fail.

We have followed the documentation on WHMCS and all is correct

Serverside we see no errors........ Browser though gets error 406 on the paypal callback file... this is not related to mod_security.

We have spoken to paypal and there is no problem their end.

A support ticked has been placed ... we had one one response and all has gone quiet since......

This is now causing a BIG problem for us.... all other payment gateways are working fine.....

whmcs support said they cannot reproduce the 406 http error here:

https://www.whmcs.com/members/modules/gateways/callback/paypal.php

but everytime I open that I see a 406 response... they also said in ticket that paypal.php is not sending out any 406 response from the code and that error is surely caused by our installation (they keep talking about mod_security despite we have said we are not running it)

lately things are not going very well around here... continuos updates and everytime something new get broken... what's wrong?

i get 406 when visiting that link, same as i do with our own installs, I do though only see the error in internet explorer, firefox and chrome just give a blank page....

Wonder if they see ipn invalid handshake in the gateway logs too? evcz, do you get the handshake error too?

Yes I even got an email from PayPal saying that would disable the ipn for my site due to excessive errors

I had the PayPal ipn set to the wrong charset, I changed it just this afternoon

To see the 406 on chrome just press f12 then network tab and reload the page... You can see the real header there... They are really sending a 406 from their own site while their own support staff is not able to "reproduce" the issue... Quite scaring

Hello,

The 406 is returned when no amount is specified in 5.2.6, and 5.1.8. However the following maintenance build made available addressed that:

http://docs.whmcs.com/Changelog:WHMCS_V5.2

Case 2951 - Fix for PayPal callback returning HTTP 406 error on no amount

Please ensure you're running the latest update on the specific files (you can view the header information to review your version).

ex:

# less modules/gateways/callback/paypal.php |head -10
<?php //00e57
// *************************************************************************
// *                                                                       *
// * WHMCS - The Complete Client Management, Billing & Support Solution    *
// * Copyright (c) WHMCS Ltd. All Rights Reserved,                         *
// * Version: 5.2.7                                                        *
// * BuildId: 5                                                            *
// * Created: 26 Jul 2013                                                  *

Edited by WHMCS Chris
typo

our charset was set correctly on 2 systems, paypal merchant services can find no problem, we cant see any serverside issues.... stumped here...... beats me why they cant see the 406 on their own site though or even replicate the issue

- - - Updated - - -

chris, we have that version in our dev install... was only downloaded a short moment ago and installed.

Hello,

The 406 is returned when no amount is specified in 5.2.6, and 5.1.8. However the following maintenance build made available addressed that:

http://docs.whmcs.com/Changelog:WHMCS_V5.2

Case 2951 - Fix for PayPal callback returning HTTP 406 error on no amount

HI, I am running the correct version and hope you are doing too on your own website...

less modules/gateways/callback/paypal.php |head -10
<?php //00e57
// * WHMCS - The Complete Client Management, Billing & Support Solution    *
// * Copyright (c) WHMCS Ltd. All Rights Reserved,                         *
// * Version: 5.2.7                                                        *
// * BuildId: 5                                                            *
// * Created: 26 Jul 2013                                                  *

please run this command on the same shell you issued that less command:

wget --server-response https://www.whmcs.com/members/modules/gateways/callback/paypal.php

--2013-08-21 20:45:14--  https://www.whmcs.com/members/modules/gateways/callback/paypal.php
Resolving www.whmcs.com... 190.93.241.179, 190.93.242.179
Connecting to www.whmcs.com|190.93.241.179|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
 HTTP/1.1 406 Not Acceptable
 Server: cloudflare-nginx
 Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 18:45:15 GMT
 Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
 Connection: close
 Set-Cookie: __cfduid=dbb017b5d6422dfa02ceb406be4954ca61377110714224; expires=Mon, 23-Dec-2019 23:50:00 GMT; path=/; domain=.whmcs.com
 Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
 Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0
 Pragma: no-cache
 Vary: Accept-Encoding
 Set-Cookie: WHMCSXbAkzYLZLCZ4=hhq4nree29u5c82lfi1pudgfb7; path=/; HttpOnly
 CF-RAY: a197aabe47106d0
2013-08-21 20:45:16 ERROR 406: Not Acceptable.

can you reproduce the issue on your own website in this way?

is your webserver wrongly configured as I was told on the ticket?

is paypal.php sending out a 406 on his own even if I got told on a ticket that paypal.php never sends out a 406?

is it just all of us having issues with paypal out of the blue and we are left on our own with an encoded file that nobody knows what it does?

Hello,

WHMCS.com runs a slightly modified version of the shipped WHMCS installation. Comparing it is not typically applicable.

The 406 referenced in case #2951 is generated by WHMCS during the validation of received data. However during our investigation of the response code, it did not actually stop the processing of payment correlation with the callback.

Chris, You are welcome to connect to my pc and look (as you did before) and see all the errors and stuff queuing at paypal to get to our systems.......

Lance

With multiple people getting the same issue it does need looking at... its been a week now we havent been able to process automated via paypal.... god knows what mess it will cause when the automation kicks back in... all the manual stuff we have done will we need to amend it all? will domains be renewed again? its not good

too add to this.... (and this is what alerted us) .. we had the paypal balance on admin area addon activated that gave an error and slowed down the loading of the admin panel... maybe someone else can try this to see if it does the same (tip though have 2 windows open, one on the addon config so it can be turned off again otherwise admin area will takeages to load).....

Would this go through the same file ?

Hi Chris WHMCS,

I am trying to contact you regarding the 5.3 beta test, please could you contact me as so far I have been unable to do so.

My email is sammy.herring@me.com OR you can phone me 07702703381 Please Contact ME...

All the best,

Sammy Herring

Third-Party WHMCS Developer

Edited by ceosammy
Edit of signature as requested.

OK, don't know if this is relevant, but I'll throw it in:

I've been in PM with lance over this and explained to him that I (running 5.2.5) have not had any issues like this. Paypal payments updating invoices with no issues.

Then, (with no modifications or updates done to my WHMCS in around a month) I get a support ticket from a client telling me they paid invoice ******* via paypal and it was not marked as paid, could I check it out and make sure the invoice was paid. Oh oh - alarm bells - but because I have not made any whmcs changes, my thinking was immediately, "This is a paypal issue".

Plus, this seems to be happening with multiple customers with different WHMCS versions.

Logging in to my paypal account and the transaction is there, BUT, it is listed as UNDER REVIEW. Ironically, the same customer paid another invoice at more or less the same time via paypal and it went through as normal and the invoice was marked PAID.

So, I'm waiting now to see what happens, if/when paypal clear this transaction from under review to 'completed'.

The PayPal addon works fine for me (I mean searching for a transaction)

Got another email from PayPal this morning where they said again that they would disable ipn on my account if the problem persists.

I've 3 subscriptions queued in ipn that keeps failing an retrying

One off payments seems to be working fine, but we are randomly loosing them since the 15 th of August by looking at the gateway log...

The issues we are currently experiencing are related to subscriptions cancellations apparently (at least those are the only ipn messages still queued in paypal)

We are not using the paypal balance box because it caused us troubles in the past (I'm not sure how to enable it again to see if now it's working, is there an option for it?) , transitions lookup is working fine tho.