looks like the {php}evaL(base64_decode are returning

If you are hosted on a cpanel server install mod security and you can filter them at the firewall, the request will be rejected.

Can you elaborate on how you would do that exactly please?

I only allow site visitors to raise tickets via the browser (not email).

You could use modsec to filter {php} or base64decode, though that may raise some false positives.

Could you not use a hook to block them?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7882265&postcount=67

EDIT: Updated code to prevent issues with email template saving

$file = pathinfo($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']);
   $callingScript = $file['basename'];

$checkvars = array(‘subject’, ‘message’);
   foreach ($checkvars AS $checkvar) if ($callingScript != ‘configemailtemplates.php’ && strpos($_REQUEST[$checkvar], ‘{php}’) !== false) die(“We’re sorry, but you cannot use \”{php}\” in a ticket submission. If you do have a legitimate issue, please press the back button in your browser and then change any instances of \”{php}\” to \”(php)\” so that your ticket may be submitted. Keep in mind that neither {php} nor (php) will function.”);

Edited by LDHosting
add modified code

Install the mod_sec plugin to allow you to manage the rule sets, Download the latest mod_sec ruleset it should already have the rule in place that blocks the request. you just copy and paste the rule set into your mod_sec plugin.

If you are using any firewall you should always keep its definitions fresh and mod_sec is no different.

- - - Updated - - -

will not work as the strings are different on each one

It doesnt filter the string, it filters a required part of the string, base64_decode, if that is present in the request it is rejected. Doing this via exim or mod_sec has an added bonus, you can ban an ip at the server rather than at application level.

I believe the patch released in 2012 resolved these issues though, and its included in all new updates. it doesnt prevent a submission but i believe it does prevent the php executing.

That said, i see no reason for not using mod_sec, if these are being submitted there is just cause to block the user, they could try other methods of attack that you can mitigate.

Edited by CDJ Hosting