Free Braintree Credit Card Gateway Module

What is Braintree?

Braintree offers a secure credit card payment gateway with the low rate of 2.9% + $0.30 per transactions with an instant approval process similar to Stripe. The primary benefit over Stripe is payments are deposited typically in 2-4 days instead of the 7 days with Stripe.

Our Braintree module provides support for the Braintree payment gateway for use with WHMCS.

-Uses the braintree.js library which makes use of braintree's client side encryption technology which will quickly make you PCI compliant.

-Card information is stored remotely with Braintree.

-All of the standard features of a WHMCS credit card gateway are supported (Updating stored card, Automated Recurring Charges, Refunds, Deleting of the credit card).

-If you are using local credit card storage and convert to Braintree, after each card is processed, it will be automatically converted to being store at Braintree.

-Credit card data is entered directly on the checkout screen.

This module is provided free of charge and all of the source code is unencrypted. We offer commercial support for this module for just $15/year.

Download Free Module

• 2 weeks later...
Does this support multi-currency?

It does not, it will only work with the currency you have setup for your Braintree Merchant Account and you can use WHMCS to convert the amount before sending it to Braintree.

If you wish to accept multiple currencies with Braintree they require setting up a separate merchant account for each currency you accept. This is something that could be coded in, the module code is available for you to change or you can contact us for a quote to add this feature for you.

https://www.braintreepayments.com/docs/php/transactions/merchant_account

• 2 weeks later...

Are you using Braintree yourself? Are you really seeing some deposits take as long as 96 hours? BTW, thanks for your great work on this and making it free, plus an extremely reasonable commercial support option.

We are currently using Samurai from feefighters with a FirstData merchant account. They got bought by groupon a year or so ago and haven't done much with it since but they tell me they will keep it up and running for existing users. I have a rate of 2.3% which is why I haven't switched. If I had to pick between Braintree and Stripe, I would go with Braintree because it is powered by your own merchant account and has much quicker deposits.

I have a CDG account that gives me 2.25%, but when you actually notice that most transactions are actually non qualified ones and then maybe add in a monthly fee that you might have, you will see that your actual average percent is probably much higher than 2.3%.

Had CDG a long time ago myself. With all the various qualification levels and the per transaction fees/monthly gateway fee, it was close to 5.5% we were losing. Even with Stripe and mostly smaller transactions ($10ish) the real cost is 4.4%. Still better than CDG though.

With FirstData/Samurai, I have a flat 2.3% (Visa,MC, Discover) on qualified and non qualified transaction which saves us quite a bit of money since most transaction come in as non qualified. It's to bad that Samurai was sold, it was the best deal around.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A new version of the Braintree for WHMCS module is now available.

What's New?

-A client side javascript credit card validation library has been added to catch user input errors when inputing credit card information.

-Braintree credit card verification can now be turned on which will verify a card is valid before adding it to the users profile.

-A Dynamic Descriptor can now be set in the module configuration.

-A number of minor tweaks/updates have been made to all files/templates. We do recommend upgrading to this new version even if you will not be making use of the above new features.

Please follow installation instructions in the README in order to upgrade to the new version. All templates and files have changed.

You may download the latest version of the gateway module from our client portal at https://www.serverping.net/clients/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had it with Braintree. Tried using them in July but people were having a problem with cvs not being accepted.

Last Thursday reuploaded the newer version. Everything went fine till Sunday. Everyone was being declined and problems with the csv thing again. All seem to have been settled by credit card company. Yesterday got an email from their risk department regarding two transactions. They wanted the addresses of these two and phone numbers. Also asked for drivers license and latest bank statement. Wrote back and gave them info on the two clients but asked whose drivers license and bank info they want, mine or the students. This morning totally fed up with them as they have stated that they will be returning the settlement of these to to the credit card companies. Wrote back that I am now fed up and will closing this account. Now get an email stating that they will out of 52 transactions only 5 got settled (Don't know where they got that number as only ten have used it and 3 tried to but it wouldn'd work.) The 5 that have settled have already been credited back to the cardholder(s) according to them.

I will never recommend this place.

• 4 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I've tested the braintree module with WHMCS 5.3.x and everything appears to be working properly without having to make any changes. Just make sure that when you upgrade you don't overwrite the custom templates files in your theme (creditcard.tpl and clientareacreditcard.tpl) and that you keep the custom viewcart.tpl for your order form.

Hi Everyone,

I've tested the braintree module with WHMCS 5.3.x and everything appears to be working properly without having to make any changes. .

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is related to WHMCS 5.3.x since I'm a new user.

Here is the error I experience.

CVV checking is disabled in Braintree Processing Rules.

Now, on my web site, when I'm placing an order and use existing credit card and do NOT enter a CVV value, I can click the complete order button and the transaction is declined with a general error, that the payment has been declined, while it is actually the missing CVV, and strange code is shown on that page in the CVV field.

this is the code which is shown in CVV field:

$bt4|javascript_1_3_9$iQ1JZwoXm9yfx6Jc3eIc8wmABrx/tmeKZLy+ee3A47zVy8EHxkazG50YFEAdGhwwWUbaGp6tkCYoJ0K8T0s5rZ/e2muZEsN+cIrhNYEbXxuSnYgxd67Zse5gNUBW+TyH1F/LJ6uQZ+fcg5lKvi/fr0LANXsZqvdCqqisJiW80B3Wfir/YZ+D2MRIb2NNUa12O+nvSf3it52Sc0Ec7wZWPIi8qpmuSpM0Nk0sx8mICXr1q67eAQlzehXVm5YqIbVa5ZzoE+JUSL1OZVZwNANtlrLoKAxHUJPJInQnSNNqt1m0IKJv3vWZ9gm05kRsy7Bb8asXcATzancVo4MCnVonEg==$mUkmA2R+EgZYn1J4+oi16peEzImS7YPbxN4oB+NhLds=$8dX/SWbijMoX1hEf5CWpDdhntqZLpFiVzxviPkrvnn8=

I'm using IE 11.0.2

I think this error is very disturbing to the client, since their credit card is involved and they may panic, when they don't know what's going on.

Has this to do with the payment module, is this an error with the java script by braintree, or anything else?

Can someone confirm this problem ?

I was testing it on braintree sandbox mode.

whmcscc.gif

... and when I'm checking the gateway log in WHMCS it says:

Invoice ID => 26

User ID => 2

Amount => 45.70

Expiration date is required.

Credit card number is required.

Credit card must include either number or venmo_sdk_payment_method_code.

So it appears, that the payment module doesn't utilize the stored token for some reason.

Another bug found today.

When I'm trying to enter credit card details in the WHMC's customer account, the cc details are stored locally and not remotely in Braintrees's Vault.

I experienced this issue before and a workaround was to click the link "log in as client" and then enter the credit card details from there, then logout as client and return to whmcs as admin.

Now out of a sudden, this is not working anymore.

No matter from where I enter cc details for new customers, the cc data is stored locally and not remotely in braintrees vault.

With my test customer, where it already has cc details in braintrees vault, I could update cc data remotely in braintree's vault.

This is strange behavior of the module, which makes it actually unusable :(

Another bug found today.

When I'm trying to enter credit card details in the WHMC's customer account, the cc details are stored locally and not remotely in Braintrees's Vault.

I experienced this issue before and a workaround was to click the link "log in as client" and then enter the credit card details from there, then logout as client and return to whmcs as admin.

Now out of a sudden, this is not working anymore.

No matter from where I enter cc details for new customers, the cc data is stored locally and not remotely in braintrees vault.

With my test customer, where it already has cc details in braintrees vault, I could update cc data remotely in braintree's vault.

This is strange behavior of the module, which makes it actually unusable :(

Just so that you are aware, once you handle (aka, accept it over the phone and enter the details yourself or through some other method) the CC details for your client, your PCI compliance requirements change. In order to avoid a majority of it, clients have to enter the details themselves.

thanks, I'm aware of that, but I'm just switching billing systems, so I have to transfer from one system to another.

Braintree offers this feature in their vault, too. So if they don't want that merchants are doing this, they won't offer that feature in their systems.

Are you using this payment module ?

thanks, I'm aware of that, but I'm just switching billing systems, so I have to transfer from one system to another.

Braintree offers this feature in their vault, too. So if they don't want that merchants are doing this, they won't offer that feature in their systems.

Are you using this payment module ?

Oh, I am not saying you cant do it. I am just saying your PCI compliance requirements change and you now have to get PCI scans done on whatever system you are entering them from.

No, I am not using it. I had plans to and I have an account, but since paypal bought them out, I decided not to make the move from Stripe to braintree.

This module does work and doesn't save any credit card details locally if it is correctly installed. If you would like assistance, we do offer some commercial support options via our client area, no supported is provided via this forum.

It does!

I've been in contact with a developer of another Braintree module, which was very helpful. And he confirmed that WHMCS requires at least one invoice on the client's account belonging to Braintree Payments gateway and client's default payment method set to Braintree Payments before cc data is being stored remotely.

If there is no invoice yet on the account. e.g. in cases where you transfer customer data from another billing system to WHMCS, it IS being saved locally.

Ok, I hope this clarify for other customers and they don't have to spend hours as well to find out.

I purchased his module, he offers also multi currency processing and an export script, which will export locally stored cc data to braintree's remote vault.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

For anyone having issues with all their credit card numbers being submitted as '4111...etc' -- Double check that your credit card storage is enabled in WHMCS security settings.

I completely mis-read the instructions and thought that you needed to DISABLE credit card storage, when in fact you need to ENABLE it by unchecking that box.

Once you do that, those issues should be resolved. (At least it was for me)