ID Protection in domain addon tab--does it do anything besides charge the client?

Troy

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/13/2017 at 10:23 AM, ScottN said:

My experience with eNom ID Protect feature in WHMCS:

1. If the customer orders ID Protect during the time of initial registration, WHMCS sends an order for ID Protect and the registration to eNom and both get created perfectly.
  2. If the customer orders ID Protect SEPARATELY (for example, they decide to add ID Protect at a later date) then WHMCS bills the customer but DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. It does not create a "To-Do" item. It does not send an order to eNom to order the service. It does nothing but take the customer's money!!
  3. At domain renewal time, it will bill the customer for both the domain renewal and ID Protect, and it will send the renewal and ID Protect orders to eNom, and they will be handled perfectly.

So, for me, the solution was to create a filter in my email client to look for ID Protect add-on orders, and to filter them to raise a warning that manual labor is required to log into eNom and order ID Protect for the customer.  

I guess now that eNom was purchased by TuCows, WHMCS does not care anymore about eNom things.  Perhaps our only hope is that ID Protect will go away, now that EU Privacy Laws may render it obsolete. Discussion here.

- Scott

Does 1. apply if I place an order on behalf of the customer from the back end?

>> Does 1. apply if I place an order on behalf of the customer from the back end?

Yes, front-end or back-end, if you order a domain and ID Protect at the same time, it all goes well. The problem occurs when you or the customer order ID Protect separately from the domain registration.  Then ID Protect does not get ordered.  (no order, no to-do item, we just take money from the customer, and provide no benefit).  WHMCS... are you listening?

- Scott