Password reset link not working

This is not working for us as well, hasn't been for days. If you click the Forget Password link the email never arrives. We've checked our spam filters. We need to open a support ticket in regards to another issue but can't login.

Please help!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a big whmcs fan, an also not receiving my password here's what i did (that worked for me):

Open a support ticket with pre-sales. They will ask for a number of details, URL of admin along with a username and password. (Perhaps create a temporary admin)

Check your spam folder. It could be a result of the recent downtime that the WHMCS.COM URL went down in rating, and is now being blocked by certain email suppliers.

Their support staff are all wide awake (now especially). A better suggestion would have been to login and change the password yourself, instead of requesting a password reset.

In case it may help others, be aware than for a Gmail or Google Apps address, or if you receive an external email on a Gmail interface, the password reset message was sent to Junk/Spam folder.

Spam filtering criteria remain confidential for obvious reasons, and just because you received messages and invoices from WHMCS before does not mean that one message will not be mistaken for spam. Each message receives its own evaluation.

So especially on Gmail but also with any provider, I advise anybdy to double-check their Spam folder.

I was checking the incorrect spam folder. I do see the emails in there but it appears there are problems with the PTR and SPF records associated with WHMCS.COM which seem to be causing the emails to go to everyones spam folder.

WHMCS.COM should set their SPF & PTR records correctly so emails are not marked as spam.

They should add 50.116.115.104 (static IP of WHMCS.COM) to their SPF record.

According to http://www.mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=spf%3awhmcs.com the static IP of WHMCS.COM is missing from the SPF record.

The PTR Record for 50.116.115.104 (static IP of WHMCS.COM) is not pointing to whmcs.com. See http://www.mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=ptr%3a50.116.115.104

The PTR Record for 50.97.96.24 (where Forget Password Emails are sent from) needs to be set to whmcs.com but is currently set to whmcs.whmcs.com. See http://www.mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=ptr%3a50.97.96.24

Fixing the above should decrease the chances of emails going to a recipient's spam folder.

Very good point. I forgot to check SPF but this is a major criteria these days.

I suspect however that those records not being up-to-date are one of the consequences of the social engineering hack mayhem.

Unfortunately nobody but WHMCS can access the DNS records to update those, so in the meantime checking for spam folder contents remains a safe bet. I think I'll notify their support.

I was checking the incorrect spam folder. I do see the emails in there but it appears there are problems with the PTR and SPF records associated with WHMCS.COM which seem to be causing the emails to go to everyones spam folder.

Fixing the above should decrease the chances of emails going to a recipient's spam folder.

Unfortunately nobody but WHMCS can access the DNS records to update those, so in the meantime checking for spam folder contents remains a safe bet. I think I'll notify their support.

Yes you're correct but Hostgator needs to update the PTR record... at WHMCS's request.

WHMCS needs to open a support ticket with HG to get their PTR records corrected.

Their main domain seems in fact handled by Enom

Domain name: whmcs.com

Registrar: ENOM, INC.

with I guess Hostgator being a hosting provider only. It seems they created their own (vanity) DNS, so nameservers for the domain are

Name Servers:

dns1.whmcs.com

dns2.whmcs.com

which means that SPF in the zones records can probably be edited live at Enom. Adding a txt/spf record takes a few seconds so I suggested to their support dpt they do it to avoid further communication issues during those difficult times.

Also a good reminder that having separate providers for such critical issues such as domain name and dedicated servers makes sense. At least if hosting goes very wrong, DNS can be edited to redeploy hosting in a matter of hours to keep a line of communication open.

As for further security measures to avoid such nightmares, I've always been a advocate of double-authentication or 2FA, but I guess as professionals WHMCS will be working hard on this in the next few days.

Yes you're correct but Hostgator needs to update the PTR record... at WHMCS's request.

WHMCS needs to open a support ticket with HG to get their PTR records corrected.

Their domain is registered at enom but they are not using enom's DNS servers so they would not be able to edit their SPF record there. The nameservers you see WHMCS using are pointing to the DNS service running on the same server WHMCS.COM is running on. If they're still using cPanel they can edit the SPF record from WHM > Edit DNS Zone -OR- within cPanel > Advanced DNS Editor

As for the PTR record, I know we can change them by logging into the portal of our dedicated server providers... not sure if HostGator supports that or if Matt needs to open a ticket with them.

I don't know why others are having problems, but I can say why I'm having problems. It looks like the email sender envelope has the message coming from whmcscom@whmcs.whmcs.com. The problem is that whmcs.whmcs.com is having problems being resolved. My mail server is reporting that whmcs.whmcs.com doesn't exist and refuses to deliver email.

Matt or WHMCS if you see this, please either fix the sender address for your forms or make sure that the name resolves. I did a report on the host name and there is some serious confusion from your servers on whether or not the name should exist as a host or a subdomain and where the subdomain is defined. Bottom line, your domain is broken and we can't receive your email as a result.

• WHMCS CEO
As for the PTR record, I know we can change them by logging into the portal of our dedicated server providers... not sure if HostGator supports that or if Matt needs to open a ticket with them.

We did this days ago and they assured us it was done. We'll get right on it though and get them to check again.